HybridZ

What is it about those exotic engines?

Guest l28et

I might reverse compression and displacement' date=' but that's maybe.

And the number of cylinders seems to make a largest difference in how smooth a motor sound. Like a honda always sounds harsh in a way compared to a V12 or F1 but has some similarities. I assume this is due to the fact that there's just less pistons making that sound.

I'm not saying that's not a HUGE difference, and I think that's probly a big part of what makes exotics sounds so amazing. But now i come to a guitar analogy :D

One guitar playing something can sound cool, but double the track and now it sounds much fuller and richer. Same sound but much better. Take an engine and double the pistons and yes it's a VERY different sound, but I can't see that being the #1 contributor to say, the sound of an F1.

If it seems like i'm posting alot in this thred it's just becuase I REALLY like this topic and it facinates me and I want to learn more. :D

But maybe I should try to figure out what 'I' think is the top contributors to engine sounds so you guys can debunk me ;)[/quote']

I think what you said about doubling the volume is true. Look at a Ferrari V8. Twice the pistons of a Honda, but if you fire two of them at the same time you have the some number of relative firing events (4) as the Honda motor. I think that's one of the reasons for the wail they have.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...