HybridZ

hot starting problem

So the wife and I went to the local drive-in with my "cool" car, had some great ice cream, and when I tried to start it, it sputtered coughed and maybe even backfired!! Suddenly my cool car looked like a P.O.S.!! It didn't want to idle very smooth either, after a few revs it cleans up and runs fine. It has done this to me twice now. Any Ideas??

Oh I guess when I think of vapor lock I'm meaning that the fuel rail gets heated up while the car is shut off and gaseous bubbles form in it, interrupting the fuel supply until they're worked out. I might be using the wrong term for that. I doubt you need to run it with the cap off. If there was a vacuum forming in the tank you would notice surging and power loss while going down the road rather than having trouble starting it. You might try heat shielding the rail better, but it would be a good idea to wait for more people to weigh in before you put too much time into any solution.

I used to occasionally get that problem with my stock l28 FI... Even with my hood vents. Typically if I got off the highway, and turned off the engine. It would start up right away if i tried, but if i left it for 20min, it would give me that problem.

I fixed it with some heat sheilding for the exhaust, and I wrapped a little bit of foil insulation around the fuel rail.

On a side note, when I switched to carbs later on, I had to do the same thing to keep it from vapour locking.

Scott

exact same thign with mine... shut it off and it will start right up ... let it sit for 10 20 and wont start or run super rough with no rmp to speak of.. if i wait an hour or so ..start right up.... sounds silly but i wrapped the exhaust with tin foil and i mean wrapped to check about boiling the gas out of the rails and causeing pockets of ait to lock it up.... and problem stopped so i put heat wrap on it and its been fine ever since... the only other time ive had a simliar problem was when one of my injectors took a crap on me at sonic. drove home belching and sputtering. damn injectors lol

• 3 years later...