HybridZ

Do starter bolts matter?

My 383 keeps moving my starter away from the flywheel (I think). It's a new mini-reduction starter and I didn't have any stock bolts to put in it so I went to the hardware store and got some. After a while of using it, the starter will move away from the flywheel so I can loosen it and move it back and tighten it up again and it will work fine for a little while. The last time I repositioned it I was curious what was going on so I crawled under the car and watched it crank a few times and it was moving side to side while it was cranking but the bolts were tight. So what I'm wondering is if the shoulders on the bolts are not big enough to keep the starter in place would that make it move side to side. I'm assuming it's not supposed to move at all. Thanks for any advice.

What kind of bolts are you using? Are they threaded all the way up or do they have some type of shoulder? I know the stock starter bolts have a shoulder with a cross hatch pattern on them that fit tight in the starter housing and hold it from moving anywhere. I think if you go get some regular starter bolts your problem will be solved, unless the starter was machined wrong.

Yes,

Starter bolts do matter.

Until you get a proper bolt it will continue to move around.

The correct bolts are knurled and maintain a large diameter approx 1/4-3/8" into the block.

Look at the bolt holes in the block, they are counterbored for the correct bolts.

If you use the wrong bolts, you will eventually break one in the block, and possibly break the ear off the block.