HybridZ

Info on TKO 500 or 600

I have decided to stay with a standard shift but has proven that my T5 won't handle my motor. I know about the T56's but am leaning towards the smaller lighter (I assume) TKO trannies. Is anybody running one of these, is it a close fit for replacing a T5? Does anyone happen to know the standard gear ratio's on a t5? I have read that the TKO 500 has a very short 1st gear, TKO 600 is better but of course more $$$.

Lastly, does anyone have any connections on the tremec, would even consider buying a used one.

Thanks

Jeff

The TKOs are over 100 lbs, and a good bit larger than the T5. The top of the TKO is wide and comes close to the lines in the tunnel. They also shift more "notchily" than the T5.

Have you considered doing a G-Force T-5? All the light weight, good gear ratios (2.95 first) and shifting quality of the T-5, but with 600 lbft torque capablility. It's done with stronger material for the gears and shafts.

Not cheap, but neither is the TKO.

Ian, I haven't gotten it back yet. G-Force is having a supply problem with the main shafts, but they are at the heat treaters now, supposedly.

mrparks - notchy, meaning that it doesn't shift smoothly like a honda or like most T-5s, but more like a riding mower or truck transmission. The issue is that the TKO gears are more massive and the synchros aren't optimally designed to speed the gears up, so it takes a bit of time and force on the shift lever to do the speed matching for synchronization. Everything is more massive in the TKO (well, all Tremec TR-3550 type 5 spds for that matter) than in the T-5. It's not absolutely hateful, but at times you do feel like you're driving a UPS truck. Changing the gear oil often helps keep some of the notchiness at bay, but GM Synchromesh is the only thing that Tremec says should be used, and it's not cheap.

• 3 months later...
Ian' date=' I haven't gotten it back yet. G-Force is having a supply problem with the main shafts, but they are at the heat treaters now, supposedly.

mrparks - notchy, meaning that it doesn't shift smoothly like a honda or like most T-5s, but more like a riding mower or truck transmission. The issue is that the TKO gears are more massive and the synchros aren't optimally designed to speed the gears up, so it takes a bit of time and force on the shift lever to do the speed matching for synchronization. Everything is more massive in the TKO (well, all Tremec TR-3550 type 5 spds for that matter) than in the T-5. It's not absolutely hateful, but at times you do feel like you're driving a UPS truck. Changing the gear oil often helps keep some of the notchiness at bay, but GM Synchromesh is the only thing that Tremec says should be used, and it's not cheap.[/quote']

pete. Have you got you tranny back yet?

I am focusing on a tko, but i hear they are pretty large up top, and i know my z tunnel isnt too big. I thought about a wc t5, with a g-force rebuild, but i know TONS! of guys who say g-force never sent back there tranny. You are just added to my list.

Why did you go with g-force? is there anyone else that can build a stought t5?

I was almost for sure on my tko idea, but i sure dont want clearnce problems. But then again, i also am trying to steer away from g-force, due to their extremely bad rep.

Can you fill me in please?

pete. Have you got you tranny back yet?

I am focusing on a tko' date=' but i hear they are pretty large up top, and i know my z tunnel isnt too big. [/quote']

The top is large on the TKO, but it will fit. I had to move the brake and fuel lines around so it would have clearance up there.

I thought about a wc t5' date=' with a g-force rebuild, but i know TONS! of guys who say g-force never sent back there tranny. You are just added to my list.

Why did you go with g-force? is there anyone else that can build a stought t5?

I was almost for sure on my tko idea, but i sure dont want clearnce problems. But then again, i also am trying to steer away from g-force, due to their extremely bad rep.

Can you fill me in please?[/quote']

I got it back a month ago. They were waiting on the output shaft to come in from the manufacturer and heat treater. It did take a while but it came back. I don't have it in yet. A friend at work sent his Ford T-5 to them and he got one back in a few weeks. Probably just pulled a completed one off the shelf. I hadn't heard that G-Force was keeping trannies.

As far as I know only G-Force gets the gear sets and shafts. Sure, it'd be great if whoever makes them would supply them to other rebuilders also. But we are kind of stuck with the situation.

I have a G-force T-5 in my Z and it has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. It shifts quite well once the gear lube is at operating temperature, much better than expected. I am now able to upshift above 5500RPM without the slight grind you get from a stock T-5 or Datsun transmission. The big drawback is pretty major gear noise. This tranny is a serious whiner. :shock:

For me getting the strength and reliability was a trade-off I was willing to make.

I have a TKO600 in my 72. It does not seem wide up on top compared to the tranny tunnel, although I am moving my lines out of the tunnel anyways. The car is down to bare metal going through a complete build, so I can't comment on the shifting, noise, etc. It fit fine though in my application...

Joshua

I have a G-force T-5 in my Z and it has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. It shifts quite well once the gear lube is at operating temperature' date=' much better than expected. I am now able to upshift above 5500RPM without the slight grind you get from a stock T-5 or Datsun transmission. The big drawback is pretty major gear noise. This tranny is a serious whiner. :shock:

For me getting the strength and reliability was a trade-off I was willing to make.[/quote']

The g-force 5th gear is like .59 or .53 or something, Bad ass.

The whine shouldnt annoy me too bad, i kinda like it, my super t-10 is a whiner, and i dont mind.

I did go to g-force transsmission.com or whatever it is, they sell there t-5's for $2000. Whew. I wonder how much they would charge if i sent one in, i think $1000 for the gears, plus labor. maybe if i cant find a cheap broke wc t5, i should just buy theres.

That .5? 5th is a seller to me. a Tko dosnt have that option, and i think thats somewhere around the t56 6th gear. Sweet

Be aware that for the GM T-5, the number of splines where the 5th gear installs is different, so you can't use their 9310 5th gears. I kept the stock gears there, Not a big deal since they are both a decent size and you usually don't go putting huge torque through 5th anyway.

The total bill for my tranny to be rebuilt with their rebuild kit ($250), labor ($250), new gears 1-4 and counter shaft ($1095), and 9310 mainshaft ($335) and Cluster support plate ($56), plus shipping to me ($140!!!!!) was $2126. I also got a Pro 5.0 shfter from them ($190)

The guy I mentioned that just had his Ford T-5 for his road race 5.0 mustang said it whines pretty loud, especially in 3rd. Oh well, without a sound system in my Z still, the exhaust, solid roller cam, and gear noise will make a nice symphony :burnout:

Be aware that for the GM T-5' date=' the number of splines where the 5th gear installs is different, so you can't use their 9310 5th gears. I kept the stock gears there, Not a big deal since they are both a decent size and you usually don't go putting huge torque through 5th anyway.

The total bill for my tranny to be rebuilt with their rebuild kit ($250), labor ($250), new gears 1-4 and counter shaft ($1095), and 9310 mainshaft ($335) and Cluster support plate ($56), plus shipping to me ($140!!!!!) was $2126. I also got a Pro 5.0 shfter from them ($190)

The guy I mentioned that just had his Ford T-5 for his road race 5.0 mustang said it whines pretty loud, especially in 3rd. Oh well, without a sound system in my Z still, the exhaust, solid roller cam, and gear noise will make a nice symphony :burnout:[/quote']

Holy hell. Man, they sell a brand new one for $2000.

$2126 + whatever you paid for your t5, why didnt you just buy one of theirs. Damn thats a lotta dough. But you got one bad ass tranny.

I am leaning more and more towards g-force now.

If your ford friend bought a dogring straight cut set, it should whine, its the straight cut gears that whine. Muncies whine cause they have them too. A synched tranny shouldnt whine toooo bad.

Thanks for the info buddy.

Holy hell. Man' date=' they sell a brand new one for $2000.

$2126 + whatever you paid for your t5, why didnt you just buy one of theirs.[/quote']

I'm not sure, but I don't think the one for $2000 has the $335 9310 steel main shaft.

I am leaning more and more towards g-force now.

If your ford friend bought a dogring straight cut set' date=' it should whine, its the straight cut gears that whine. Muncies whine cause they have them too. A synched tranny shouldnt whine toooo bad.

Thanks for the info buddy.[/quote']

Only the rock crusher version of the Muncie had straight cut gears. Most Muncies had helical gears that were a lot quieter than the "rock crusher"

No, the mustang guy has the synchro G-Force stuff. They reduce the helix angle on those gear sets to increase strength, hence more noise.

A synched tranny shouldnt whine toooo bad.

I've not heard the straight-cut version of the G-Force T-5. If they are much louder than my 9310 helical cut gear I'd have to wear my Bose noise cancelling headphones. :eek: Trust me, the helical gears will be louder than you might expect, especially a 3rd gear downshift.

I'm not sure' date=' but I don't think the one for $2000 has the $335 9310 steel main shaft.

Only the rock crusher version of the Muncie had straight cut gears. Most Muncies had helical gears that were a lot quieter than the "rock crusher"

No, the mustang guy has the synchro G-Force stuff. They reduce the helix angle on those gear sets to increase strength, hence more noise.[/quote']

How come in your Z garage, you say you chose a 3550, and even have pictures of it?

is that what you ran for a while?

why did you switch?

I cant wait to hear how the g-force runs.

I am leaning more towards a new unit from them, over any other option.

I dont wanna buy a $200 broken t5, and then get a bill for $2200.

Do you have any dislikes about it?

Hey Pete, Who did you deal with at G-Force. They have my tranny as we speak and it sounds like I am dong exactly what you did. I am dealing with Smitty who is the actual GM builder and he seems like a straight up guy. I guess we'll see. Should be done in a week or two.

Jeff

HarrisonTX: I bought the 3550 back when I was only planning on a 327, and I felt the 3550 was strong enough (it has proven to be). At the time there was a TKO version offered, but I believe the TKO 500 and 600 are stronger than it.

I want to switch to the G-Force for a few reasons - nicer shifting, less weight, better ratios (than the 3.27 1st in my 3550) and adequate strength for the 406 I hope to have back in the car in a few months.

If you don't have one already, I'd buy a new one from them, and possibly have them upgrade it to a 9310 main shaft, if the new $2000 version they stock doesn't already have one.

Jeff, I believe I dealt with Dan, but he just answered the phone and someone else (probably Smitty) actual built it. I hope they have a decent supply of 9310 mainshafts so you won't have to wait.