HybridZ

are there any places that will rent a MIG welding machine?

JaysZ

I am hoping to find a place in the Houston area of course. Unfortunately Home Depot and Aztec rental only do flux cored and stick welding machines. Is there anyone else I should consider? There are a lot of projects I need to complete and the lack of a welding machine is seriously slowing me down. Perhaps someone in the Houston area can loan me one... ;)

Its just that i have never used flux core before. Is it similar to MIG in that it feeds through the gun without shielding gas? Or does it use an electrode (like with an arc stick welder). Does it produce a nice bead? I guess, this should probably go to the Welding forum now huh lol

Functions the same as a gas shielded mig, but doesn't have the bottle attached. Welds will spatter more, and I cut through some of my buddy's flux core welds and you could see pitting right through the weld. He welded on his leaf spring perches for his Toy 4x4 and they've held up to some pretty intense rock crawling, but they did have some pitting right through the whole weld.