HybridZ

still no spark no fuel

DAT240Z

I'm having problems with my 3.0 board. I had the board set up to drive my coil when I had it build.(DYIAUTOTUNE) I install it just as the instillation guide said . When I try to start the car it does not get a tack single or injector pulse. I'm not getting spark or fuel.

This is how I have the relay board wired up

pin # 1 neg. to INJS. 1-3

PIN # 3 NEG. to INJ. 4-6

PIN.# 5 fuel pump

pin.# 6-10 not used

PIN. # 11 1k 1/4 watt resistor ( one end of resistor in pin #11 and other end is in pin # 12)

PIN # 12 coil ground.( neg. side of coil)

+ side of the coil is from fuel pump relay with a 10 amp fuse

pin # 15( tack single) G/B wire from distributor also ( have 12 v to 1k 1/4 resistor to pin # 15 as well. I ran the 12 v from pin# 4 on the injector power supply.)

Distributor 12 v (b/w wire is connected to the old coil 12 v from the 240z)

distributor neg. - is connected to body ground

I have the old white resistor from the 240z harness still hook up, ( B/w 12 v to one side and G/W to the other side.) I'm not sure but I think the G/W connects to the tack in the car.

Diagram is on DYI site bottom of page could not copy and paste it, here''s the link.

http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_articles/how_to_megasquirt_your_280zx_turbo.htm

I checked to power to the dist. with key on and I'm getting 12 v

I checked the injectors and they are getting 12 v but when cranking they do not pulse.

I turn the spark out put invert ot "yes"

set FIDLE TO idel control

set LED #17 to spark

I swapped out dist. still no tack single, no fuel.

When I pull the dist. out and spin it by hand the fuel pump runs like it should.

In Moby's sticky it say the set the timing to TDC and back it off 45* and turn the dist until the middle LED light comes on. I tried this but the light does not come on.

I loaded moby's maps to the ECU.

Can any one help.

As for no fuel you need to break out the multimeter and start down the path. Make sure the fuel pump relay turns on, make sure the wire at the relay board has 12volts, then make sure the wire at the fuel pump has 12 volts. Seems more likely that the fuel pump relay never turns on, don't rely on hearing it click on, actually measure the voltage.

I'll look at the msq before commenting on no spark.

Guest kerristallax

I've been helping DAT240Z with his car...

Here's a "stylish rendition" I put together of our wiring:

MStrouble.png

I've attached the MSQ we've been working with too. This has been complicated by the fact that the MS board has the MSnS-E "024s11" firmware on it, which means that we can't just run Moby's file.

Some other information...

MegaTune shows RPMS when cranking. The gauge shows about 150-175 rpms, which seems fairly accurate to me.

megasq~1.msq.zip

solder some wire and led's together and make a test light for the distributor.start there and work back.the ini. file will have to be configured for a pwm output.this part took me hours to figure out.i had no prior knowledge of ms word.i couldnt figure out how to set or unset a line in the file.

OK, I looked at the msq file, now I have several questions and advice for you:

1. How did you set up megatune so that it is configured correctly for 024s code?

2. Did you calibrate the TPS?

3. You have not calculated required fuel correctly yet (see the tuning section of the manual), required fuel of 12 in your msq means that you are using stock 280zxt injectors, is that true?

4. Your fuel VE table is screwed up, it has the value 22 loaded in more than half the table, you need to fix that (make it look like the VE table in the sticky) interpolate to fill in the extra spaces if needed.

5. Same problem on the spark table, it has 22 loaded in half the table. It should look like the ignition table in the sticky.

This may sound like tough love, but you have to read the tuning manual and the instructions for MSnS_Extra or you are just hurting yourself. I can point out everything to get the car running, but then when one thing goes wrong in the future you won't know what to do.

ONE OTHER THING, I don't think the resistor between 11 and 12 is needed with the v3.0 board if you are using the IGBT coil driver, Foundsoul, is that needed as far as you know?

More stuff I see

When I open the msq it shows 6 warnings(says its writing them to audit.log), never try to start the car when warnings show up, that means you have really screwed up settings somewhere in megatune.

For instance I looked through your settings to locate a couple of the warnings, audit.log says stuff like HCUT value wrong, HCUT means hard cut to me, so I went right to the rev limiter settings, BTW this is the first time I have looked in the audit log to find a warning.

Found that your soft and hard rev limits were set to something like 24000 rpm, so I set soft limit to 6500, hard limit to 7000. That was easy to find, unless you wanted a 24000rpm rev limit :) , that did get rid of a couple of the warnings.

Well, you gotta watch out when you just switch the spark output from inverted to non-inverted and back. When I set mine to inverted, it thought it was getting a constant signal from the distributor to fire, so it was sending a constant signal to fire the coil, this made the LED stay on all the time. This also made the coil driver transistor get VERY hot. So when the car is off, inverted or non-inverted (depending on your setup) might make that get very hot because of this, so watch out for that.

OK' date=' I looked at the msq file, now I have several questions and advice for you:

1. How did you set up megatune so that it is configured correctly for 024s code?

Im not sure as my friend did the set up, we will check it out

2. Did you calibrate the TPS?

No I have not calibrated the tps.

3. You have not calculated required fuel correctly yet (see the tuning section of the manual), required fuel of 12 in your msq means that you are using stock 280zxt injectors, is that true?

No I'm running 370cc injectors, how ever we did have the required fuel calculated I wounder if we posted the wrong file.

4. Your fuel VE table is screwed up, it has the value 22 loaded in more than half the table, you need to fix that (make it look like the VE table in the sticky) interpolate to fill in the extra spaces if needed.

5. Same problem on the spark table, it has 22 loaded in half the table. It should look like the ignition table in the sticky.

This may sound like tough love, but you have to read the tuning manual and the instructions for MSnS_Extra or you are just hurting yourself. I can point out everything to get the car running, but then when one thing goes wrong in the future you won't know what to do.

[b']ONE OTHER THING, I don't think the resistor between 11 and 12 is needed with the v3.0 board if you are using the IGBT coil driver, Foundsoul, is that needed as far as you know?[/b]

We took the day off but will work on the car tomorrow night. We are going to start over and reprogram everything and see how that goes. One thing we get a cranking RPM of about 147, would this be a tack signal?

One thing we get a cranking RPM of about 147, would this be a tack signal?

That could be right for cranking rpm. So it sounds like your tach input is working (trigger into megasquirt). When you turn the car on, but don't crank the fuel pump should prime for a couple seconds then shutoff. Then if you start cranking the fuel pump will turn on and run continuously during cranking, that also tells you that the tach input to megasquirt is working.

Guest kerristallax

Yee haw!

Removed the resistor/wire combo between 11+12 on the terminal block, properly ACTIVATED the MSnS-E 024s11 .ini, re-did the VE and ignition advance tables to look roughly like Moby's, and it's got spark!

Now we just need to figure out how to get the fuel pump primed... It runs when it should, but no fuel is being pumped!

Excellent, You should re-do that simple schematic and repost it without the resistor to complete this thread, so other people don't just see it and install it.

My fuel pumps have always been mounted below the level of the gas in the fuel tank, so they self prime basically.

Guest kerristallax

Fixed the diagram...

Oh, we figured out the problem with the pump too. "Someone" had it hooked up wrong! Was pumping to the FPR/return line, NOT the fuel filter / feed line.

...sigh... What's another 4 hours pissed away?