HybridZ

Any "brained" auto trans for an L28

caen fred

That could get pricey but it depends on what you are looking for the auto box to do. For a Z car, I cannot imagine you want more than converter lockup and that should not require much $$$. The TH200-4R has been done before and is currently being done by another member here. Yes, OD is sweet but also having lockup is even nicer if you make long trips.

let's see it an other way... how much HP could the std box handlle?

I have a fresh rebuilt l28 with p54/decked P90 with a rally cam, 3 delorttos and a 6/2/1 ... would that bitza come alive with the auto trany or is it a no no :icon56: I also have a spare r200 with a 3/9, a spare r180 with a 3/7 or a 4/63...

SO ?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I bought the 240Z auto... The engine/trany is runing fine. But my L28 is waiting now in my barn asking to see the light again. It came also from a 280ZX auto... is it a "bolt on" on the 240Z trany? Starter? new parts?

I would like to use it for a while with the auto box just to see how run a hot L28 with an automatic... then if I dont like it I still have my 5 speed around.

As far as rear diff, what the deal with an auto? My favorite one was the 3/9 on the manual... what would you put if you have the choice?

fred an auto can easy handle 220HP however i would want to see 220 comming from that setup first .. but those 3 speeds .. are dogs, talk to bernard he modified his to deal with his power .. and he can give you the tips and trics ( bernard from canada that is )

The comp is in the lower 10.x

For HP, the engine will give a few pony for the air-cond, but I don't care for numbers it's more a whole thing I want... and I will improve more the drivetrain&brakes than the engine bay! My coilover are going back to LEDA for 5 more years of abuse... I have ZX brakes with a ZX master vac (not the best but lotta better)

It will give a fairly flat power curve, witch makes for driavabillity .. im rebuilding my 12:5.1 comp agian.. only im droping to 10:5 so i can ad a supercharger .. MOWHAHA!!!!

My 12:5 was fast but not nearly as the 240 to the wheels 260 of my friend (only was faster of the line and before he hit boost) .. and this car had mild cam and massive done right head work ... so 220 ....... i doubt it however numbers would be good to see