HybridZ

My first Z.. suggestions?

Guest soysaucial

Guest soysaucial

side.jpg

Just picked up a 76 Datsun 280z yesterday for $1000. Pretty nice from what i can see.. it was painted over with single stage paint and its not the perfect paintjob. I do plan on repainting it in the future. what caught my eye is that the rear is partly shaved and thats what i think it looks really good that way. also has molded on spoiler.. (see below)

rear.jpg

wing.jpg

It came with no outside mirrors but the holes are a little weird. the passenger has three holes and the passengers have 1. what kind of mirrors should i get for it to fit? (pics below)

drivershole.jpg

passengerhole.jpg

I checked all over the car for rust.. and there is minimum.. but you never know because the car was repainted a year ago. what is kind suspicious is this thing on the passengers side bottom near the door.. its a peice of metal screwed onto it and i think there might be rust or damage underneath.. the drivers side dont have it. (pic below)

bar.jpg

O.. and ofcourse i checked underneath the battery.. major rust in that spot! i pushed a hole through it with my fingers. the red dot on the picture below shows where the hole is. how much do you think this will cost to weld in a piece of sheet metal? otherwise the engine bay and rest of the car seems pretty rust free.. (pic below)

rust.jpg

Also, i pulled the carpet and there appears to be rust but not as bad as the one near the battery.. do you think i can just leave that? is it a big deal? im only planning to keep the car for 4-5 years.

This is almost exactly what i want my Z to look like in the future except maybe a different color. Also, i really like this type of front clip but i know its not for the 280z.. is it? can i make it fit along with the chrome bumper? i really want this style on the z. The wheels on this Z below is perfect too.. so you just put rotars from a different car to make it fit 17" rims right? is that all i have to do? do i have to roll the fenders back? (pics below)

396705_42_full.jpg

Mechanicals: The Z runs fine.. the shifter is kinda stiff and you kinda have to push it in gear but i like it.. you can feel like a soft click when you put it on each gear.. is that a problem? also, the car is dead. it needs to be jump started everytime.. i drove it 100 miles home without any problems but when i parked it for a while.. i tried turning it on and it wouldnt start. well, if you turn it off then on.. it will work but it you turn the car off and let it be for just a minute, it wouldnt start. is something draining the battery or do i need a new battery?

sorry for the long post. but i am pretty excited about it! I've been wanting a Z for almost a year now and finally picked one up.

Guest soysaucial

dood.. its a good deal! i've been searching for an decent z forever... the last 2 i looked at was for $800 and omg.. it was torn up from body to engine to suspension, to everything. this guy really needed to money for his chevelle and just wanted to sell it quick. he gotten like 20 phone calls while i was there for the z.

From the sound of it, you may have a bad battery, but I would think the alternator is a more likely suspect. You also could have a shorted wire somewhere that's draining the battery as it sits.

No matter what it is, that's a very nice score.

Guest soysaucial

at first, nothing happens when you start it.. but then it sounds like the engine is trying to start up just a little.. but it doesnt. the car has been sitting for 4 months he said.

From the sound of it' date=' you may have a bad battery, but I would think the alternator is a more likely suspect. You also could have a shorted wire somewhere that's draining the battery as it sits.

No matter what it is, that's a very nice score.[/quote']

the stock clock will drain the battery if you leave it sitting for 4 months. Could also be that the battery doesn't want to hold a charge. From you saying that after running and then turing off and then turning on again, tells me that the alternator is giving thebattery some juice.

Guest soysaucial

ahhh.. ****.. looking at it, there is more rust, theres actually a hole in the floor. got damnit! and you know how someone placed a piece of metal to cover the right side of the bottom near the door? well.. on the left side, i notice it was cracked.. then i used a screwdriver and start chipping it.. it looks like bondo and there is rust underneath.

Guest manntis

You think that's rust? You should watch the videos of the swedes who bought a 'rust free' Z off of ebay... they ended up cutting out and welding in new metal on every part of the car, practically remanufacturing the unibody!

You may have some repair work ahead of you--floorpans and engine compartment rust is common and there are replacement parts available for the floors, so don't get bent. The car looks great for $1000---what more can you ask for? Use the search function and look at all the repairs guys have done to their cars to cure them of cancer (on the car that is).

Nice looking car...

Davy

Guest soysaucial

how much do you think it'll all cost for welding? or how much time? i know someone that'll do it for $35 an hour. the floor boards i probably want cut out and replaced.. theres a hole right behind the drivers seat.. i probably want that area right under the door fixed too.. o! and the battery area.

Guest soysaucial

man.. did i really get a good deal or something? thanks guys, i appreciate you guys trying to make me feel better.

Guest soysaucial

really? what is it for? good to hear! so i only have to worry about the drivers side door rocker :burnout:

that metal on the door rocker is suppose to be there' date=' so ur just missing one on the driver side..

great find.

mike[/quote']