HybridZ

Who all runs Holsets on here?

Hey folks, I don't want to hijack this thread but since we're talking about Holset turbo's I thought it might be appropriate. I have a project Z that uses an older Holset H3B turbo. I know this is an extremely large turbo but just go with me on this, details later. I'm unable to find ANY info on the turbo. I can't swear the model # is correct but I'm reasonably sure. Supposedly the turbo came off a Cummings 300HP 855ci diesel. I've done the typical Google search but nothing relevant comes up. Any ideas where I can get some real infomation on this turbo?

Thanks!

John

Guest 280ZForce

so far i've found on the holset h3b in 2 min of googling...

Holset H3B off of a Cummins 13-14 liter diesel. The

compressor inducer is 2.75 inches, turbine inlet is about 4x3 inches,

compressor inlet is 5 inches, turbine outlet is 5 inches.

if it's the h3b off a cummings diesel, prolly part#... 3532818

here is a link on a bunch of H3B part #s...

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=holset&pagina=H3B

so far i've found on the holset h3b in 2 min of googling...

Holset H3B off of a Cummins 13-14 liter diesel. The

compressor inducer is 2.75 inches' date=' turbine inlet is about 4x3 inches,

compressor inlet is 5 inches, turbine outlet is 5 inches.

if it's the h3b off a cummings diesel, prolly part#... 3532818

here is a link on a bunch of H3B part #s...

http://www.turbomaster.info/eng/catalogs/model.php?base=holset&pagina=H3B

280ZForce, Thanks for info on the H3B. I have seen see the thread from the Yahoo group but the turbomaster link is new. I wonder if Holset ever released a compressor map for these turbo's?

Guest 280ZForce
280ZForce, Thanks for info on the H3B. I have seen see the thread from the Yahoo group but the turbomaster link is new. I wonder if Holset ever released a compressor map for these turbo's?

good luck really finding a compressor map for any holset turbo. they are out there, but hard to find.

Guest 73Turbo240z

The purpose of the large openings is that there is side intake slots on the HY35W, and i believe the HX's too... it's not just closed off... thus the size of the inlet ring.

Guest 280ZForce
Turbo came today and it's a H1C. Bigger then a 60/63 that I had awhile ago. The compressor housing is big as my hand spread out. I'd liek to see this compared to a HY35 to see how big those are.

Worthless w/out pics! gotta see that. i'll try to get a shot of mine

and you dont need to build a manifold for 3 cylinders per section.

You don't have to... but you will get better spooling if you design a manifold for the turbo. For the split housing the best would be to evenly seperate the exhaust pulses between the two sections. A pulsed manifold spools a turbo much better than a constant pressure manifold does. (i.e. equal length)

Its definitely harder to do but if you're going for the full potential that's the best way to go.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest RyaN95i4

Hey Guys,

I know this is an older thread, but I rejoined Hybridz after "refinding" the site during a Holset google search. I was a member a long time ago, but I guess was pruned due to non activity for such a long time.

Anyways, on holsets -- if you want any of their compressor maps, just email Holset. Their tech staff is very friendly and very quick to respond with maps, measurements, etc. On another forum, we have received every map we have asked for so far.

Also, on the holset inlets -- they are so large because they are anti-surge housings, yes, but they also include what they call "map width enhancement grooves." These supposedly allow air to be pulled directly to the second set of blades on the compressor wheel. They say this increases efficiency (widens the compressor map, hence the name). It is said that a holset compressor in this type of housing will flow as much as 10% more air than a same sized garret wheel. How much that holds true, who knows, but just thought I would share.

Theres a lot more holset info on some of the DSM boards, and even some of the honda guys are getting onboard.