HybridZ

Z28 vs. SS......worth it?

Curious:

Getting ready to purchase my LS1 wreck for the swap and am tracking both a z28 and an SS.

As far as the swap goes, is there enough of a benefit to the SS to justify the price difference (approx. 2k) over the Z28?

My plan is to part out the car to pay for the swap.

Anyone want to chime in?

Bryan

IMHO No.... The motor is the same, just the intake and exhaust are different and neither will get you much cash. A good SS hood may get you 6 or 700 if it's perfect (75-100 for a stock hood), the rear spoiler may be worth a couple of hundred, again if it's perfect. SS Wheels and tires may get you 5 or 600 (maybe 150 - 200 for stock wheels/tires) If you have the Torsen rear, it may be worth a few $ more than a stock one.... The seats may get you a few $ more if they are the embroidered seats. Other than that, you won't net much more for the parts, unless you find a sucker.

haha, an SS IS a Z28 with just a hood, spoiler and wheels.

unless the hood spoiler and wheels are good (you could get 500 or so out of it, 200 for spoiler give or take, and 300 out of the wheels) all the other parts are the same. motors are identical.

Guest TegRacer324

The SS is more than cosmetic mods. I believe most of the suspension is reworked. I'm pretty sure it has a couple extra ponies too, but probably from the intake and exhaust.

As a former owner of a SS, I can tell you to read the door tag carefully. An SS starts its life as a Z28, then it was shipped to SLP engineering, the hood, spoiler, wheels, exhaust and badges were changed, then poof! Its an SS. If you see 1LE in the options on the door, then it has suspension upgrades such as aluminum driveshaft, koni adjustable struts, etc... 1LE SS's are very rare, mostly on stripper Z28's, they were known for being good handlers though. Big picture is buy the Z28. The things that make an SS special you wont be transferring anyways. Good luck!!

I think that it'll be a little to soon for me (just finishing up a home purchase/move), but I'll go ahead and ask. What are they looking to get for it? Could you describe the damage?

Where's it located at?

Thanks for the input guys.

Bryan

you want to look at the years also, 98-00s M6s have weaker clutches. 01-04 have the LS6 clutch. 98-99 motors didnt have good oil return inside the block, so they sh o uldnt be used above 6500rpms or so becuase they like to spin rod bearings. 00-04 LS1s have much better oil return and if you plan on putting in a big cam you need that extra oil return capablity. but if you want to just have a stock, or midly cammed LS1 a 98-99 will do just fine