HybridZ

Anyone Know Where To Get Old Nissan Competition Cam Cards?

Guest iskone

Guest iskone

I've made alot of calls with no luck. I have a L4 cam I'm trying to get the actuall full specs from the manufacturer. I know I've brought it up before but I just want some dead on info.

Isk

Guest iskone

I tried everything. Called like 5 different numbers. Everytime I call Nissan Comp I get no where though, I'm gonna keep trying.

Side note: Westbay will have a new Stator for me tomorrow and if doesn't have a magnet I can buy one from Z Specialties for $20

Isk

iskone,

Can you be more specific? Electramotive, which at one time supplied cams to Datsun Comp, had a L-4-02, and a L-3-04 profile. I have actual specs taken when I degreed these cams many years ago. I will dig through my old files and see what I can find.

Phred

iskone,

Ok, I found both specs. You will be able to tell which one it is for sure if you get a dial indicator on it and just check the lift. Its probably the L-4-02. It was generaly considered the best steel valved cam. Not as aggressive a lobe profile as the L-3-04, which was best with ti valves. These specs were taken at .050 valve lift with .008 & .010 clr. We would slightly advance or retard the cam depending on the track length, and carb configuration, and specific engine specs. Since the L-4 was considered a "torque" cam we set them up with anywhere from 1/2 to 2 degrees advance. The L-3-04 was the high rpm cam and we got best results with 1/2 to 3/4 retard. Depending on where it was set, the L-4 cam ran out of steam around 7800 to 8000, while the L-3 cam pulled to well over 9000. Both cams were popular in old C-Production/GT-2 cars.

L-4-02 Electramotive

Int. Lift .562

I.O. 22 btdc Duration 247 degrees

I.C. 45 abdc Int. lobe center 101.5

Exh. Lift .552

E.O. 46 bbdc Duration 246 degrees

E.C. 20 atdc Exh. lobe center 103

In this configuration, this cam would be 3/4 degree advanced.

Hope this helps.

Phred

Guest iskone

Whoa. That's all I could have ever asked for, THANKS!!!

I've not seen this term before, maybe it's over my head.

with .008 & .010 clr

That centerline is narrow.

Isk

Guest iskone

Oh you don't know the lobe seration do you?

I'm trying to figure out how to punch this into my Dynamic Compression Calculator so I can play with advancing and retarding and watch the changes it has.

Isk

Guest iskone
Whoa. That's all I could have ever asked for' date=' THANKS!!!

I've not seen this term before, maybe it's over my head.

That centerline is narrow.

Isk[/quote']

Wait is that the valve lift at .050"?

Isk

Isk,

The .008Int. & .010Exh. is the valve lash. You are able to get more consistent readings with lash set. Ater all, that's the the way the engine see's the cam. .050 lift (at the cam or valve) is an industry std. for checking cams. Also, because of differences in rockers and where you have the contact patch set up, its not unusual to get slightly different readings from engine to engine. That is why you must carefully degree each cam, so as to locate the centerline and the true timimg in relation to the crankshaft. (Advance or Retard).

Going racing, Back Monday.

Phred

• Administrators

Ok Phred,

We also have an Electramotive cam that we need the specs for. We are building a mild street L-28 with one of our custom MN-47 heads for a local customer who lives on the west side. The customer supplied the cam but does not have a cam card for it and we would like verify proper cam timing when we install the cam this week. Below is a pic, hopefully you have the specs for it?

BTW, you seem well versed in extreme L-series, you are located so close to us, (we live in Sandy right on Roslyn Lake), yet I don’t think we have ever met… Do you run a Datsun shop?

L-7Small.jpg

Paul (BRAAP) Ruschman

Guest iskone

I'm planning to buy a degreeing kit from summit for $80 and was wondering how you guys go about mountiung the base on th aluminum head.

Isk

• Administrators
I'm planning to buy a degreeing kit from summit for $80 and was wondering how you guys go about mountiung the base on th aluminum head.

Isk

LMAO!!!!

I am at this very moment writing a "how to" with detailed pics on degreeing a cam on an L-series for the PINKs boys. In this article it shows my steel plate for the mag base. It will be posted in the next hour or so…

Timing... LOL