HybridZ

What brand/type of spray guns are you guys using?

RacerX

Please tell me how you like/dislike your spray gun - is the fan not wide enough - it sprays incredible etc.,

Remember the thread about roll on paint jobs? I discovered that in Europe they actually have a roll on paint system - paint formulated for roll on application. My buddy and I are planning on acquiring the primer surfacers to do some R&E (research and experimentation) on the stuff. We won't have to log the material for the Bay Area Quality Control Enforcers because we're not spraying the material.

Thanks everyone!!

RacerX

p.s I've been hearing quite a few people I know in the automotive industry brag about the Japanese made spray gun - Iwata. I've used their airbrush and really like it - I'm gonna have an opporutnity to use the bigger spray gun on a project car. Does anyone have personal experience with the HVLP Iwata Spray guns?

Guest ON3GO

Right now im using:

Snap-On HVLP 1.3 (shark makes it).. so far so good, fan is just how i like it, nice and light, cleans easy.

SATA HVLP Digital 1.3... love it, its perfect!

SATA Minijet 1.2 (i think).. Great little gun, perfect for custom small jobs, cleans easy, super light, super small.

i have another Snap-On HVLP for primer that i think is a 1.7 and i have no issues with it either.

mike

Devilbis Plus gravity feed, 1.3 fluid tip.. Very nice gun..

Devilbis JGA-503 syphon feed - Second best syphon feed gun I've ever used..

Devilbis JGA-510 syphon feed - Best syphone feed gun I've used.

SATA HVLP and RP gravity fed guns, not sure of model numbers, but they were quite a bit nicer than the Devilbis units.. Really liked the digital pressure gauge in the handles.. They were pretty high end guns, right around 1k each..

Cheers,

Guest JAMIE T

I'm not good enough to know the difference. I am using a Ingersol Rand unit from Lowes. It uses a 1.4 nozzle and seems to spray just fine.

X: long time no speaks, how are you. The last four years I worked on cars professionally, I was a full time painter only. This is in Florida, and there were no requirments to use an HVLP gun. I sprayed in a convection heated downdraft Devilbis spray booth. All my top coat guns were SATA jets. (I had three) They sprayed so much better then any other gun I had touched in twenty five years of doing it, I wouldn't have considered using anything else. The atomization could not be touched, here's why. The SATA's cap, needle, and fluid nozzle were hand machined as a set. Once I dropped one of the air caps while cleaning it and bent it, (dumb a$$) and you could only buy a new cap as part of the whole set of needle, cap and nozzle. ($110, more then what most guns cost) Also, this thing put out some paint. (not for amateurs) It also was super easy to clean because it has no packings. The whole gun consisted of like 6 or 8 parts. Those things are works of art, truely a fine tool. Had binks, devilbis, all of them got religated to primer gun status after that.

Guest Heuristicism

Devilbis finishline III guns? Are these any good for the beg. painter? Have searched a couple of sites and others seem to think that it's a decent gun.

BTW- I do not need to know how much better the Sata gun is. If money was of no object, I would get the best.

Guest ON3GO

for clears or even basecoats/pearls i use to use a SATA RP.. sprays real fast and you have to know your line but its a AWESOME gun!

mike

I presume your other guns that got reassigned to primer duty were non-HVLP?!

correct. at the time (& I believe still) there was no requirement for HVLP guns in Florida, so I stuck with what I had always used. Although at the time more then one paint rep actually told me my SATA would pass the HVLP standard if you turned the pressure way down.

Heuristicism: Devilbis Finishline - had one (still do... somewhere) it worked well.

Guest ON3GO

i use 1.3 for both base and clear..

i just make sure the cap/tip is really really really clean and switch paint.

never had a problem.

mike

Guest Heuristicism

RacerX - thanks for taking the time with the indepth reply. I agree with your rationalization on the gun v.s. cost aspects. I absoulutely agree with your notion that the gun should feel balanced and comfortable in your hand and that with time most can paint very well with a cheaper gun.

That is why I was interested in the FinishlineIII. For approximately $130 you can have a gun that you can purchase additional tips, parts, and have the security to know that the gun is made to certain specifications. I figured that If I started out with a decent gun, It would be that much easier to 'get better' at painting.

If have heard (another board) that the ATP ( or ATZ ?) is a knock off sata style gun, which can be had on eBay for under $100. Any thoughts?

Yes, I have a cheapo harbor freight primer gun. I think it cost a total of $17 a couple of years ago.

Another thought.. I have heard that some of the cheaper guns are actually better to have (purchase) that are not HVLP (just standard). I have heard that this was because the technology was that much harder to exact for companies. This would then cause problems (or make it much more difficult) for the average user to 'set up' the gun to shoot right. Any thoughts?

I'm using one of the new sata digital hvlp guns on my harbor freight pressure pot...lol. Talk about a strange mix, but it works wonderful! I spray semi's...and you wouldn't believe how much pickier these guys are than the average auto owner!

I'm using a .8 tip and shooting base clear, and everything through it. Gets absolutely awwesome atomization, and you can litterally lay it on like glass. The key with the pressure pot I've found is to crank up the pot pressure while using a small fluid tip and it comes out beautiful every time. I can't really compare this sata to any of the others due to its pressure pot configuration...other than the harbor frieght gun that cam with the pot was horrible. I wouldn't have used it to spray trash cans...

Guest JAMIE T

Have any of you guys used the HVLP system that TIP sells? It's a astand-alone system that includes it's own compressor.

My understanding of an actual H-high V-volume L-low P-pressure system was that you needed a larger diam. hose than you'd typically use to carry the volume of air at the lower pressures. I see so called HVLP guns with standard air fittings on them. I decided to get a non-HVLP gravity feed gun myself. I'm still learning but I'm having fun doing it. It has a 1.4 tip and I use it for everything.

Sup X,

I have an Iwata LPH400 (their top of the line I beleive) w. a 1.6 and 1.4 tip. 1.6 for primer obviously and the 1.4 for clear and top coats. I'm just a student so I cant afford a lineup of guns, so it does triple duty, lol. The gun is the low volume model designed to meet the HVLP transfer requirements and do it on a ****-ton less CFM. My gun only needs 9.5 cfm for optimal atomization and efficiency. 16psi at the inlet gives me 10 at the tip, so its cake to use and will run on a number of compressors. I know thats not an issue with you, but its a nice feature none the less.

also, correct me if I'm wrong, but with a lower CFM requirement it also allows the use of less than perfect air hoses, regulator and other lines right? Since you dont need the internal volume to be so high.

I've had the chance to spray with a GTi Millenium and a Sata NR2000. Like i said before, I dont have alot of money, so I couldnt afford to make the wrong choice in a gun, the end result was a large amount of research and playing around on my part. In the end, I felt the Iwata was better than the SATA and ALOT better than the GTi. The fan is large, it sprays very well, smooth, its very light, which is nice to reduce arm fatigue. I love the hell out of the gun.

I let my instructor spray with it over a weekend a this place, he had two cars to do. He's a diehard SATA fan and he called me on sunday and offered to trade me both his SATA's for it, lol.

Also in its favor was that the 1.6 and 1.4 tips use the same needle, so I bought the gun with a 1.4 and just had to get a 1.6, I didnt have to drop the money for a whole new needle.