HybridZ

New Gforce T-5 Installed

jgkurz

Hi Folks, Well I finally got my new Gforce T-5 in and so far it’s working well. I did some major modifications to the shifter so it would be centered in the console but other than that it wasn’t too difficult. The transmission is extremely loud in a Z. The nearly straight cut gears are unnervingly loud. This is with Royal Purple gear oil/Synchromax mixture.The new transmission plus the typical R200 differential noise, lowered suspension and full 3” exhaust are starting to make my car annoying to be in for long periods. It's hard to hear the radio. My desire was to build a car I enjoyed driving to the beach in but could also race it on weekends. So far I’m not there yet. My next major Z expense will probably be seats, carpet and sound deadener. As it is now, I’m not sure anyone else would want to ride with me. :shock: The little L6 sure gets up and goes though......

John

I'm currently running straight Royal Purple synchromax (not mixed), and it is much[/b'] quieter.

Mine, too. I was really alarmed at the noise produced with Kevin's (of The Gearbox) specified breakin gear lube - non-synthetic ATF - so much that I thought there was a problem and called. He said, "Remember those old Muncie Rock Crushers?" Those narrow angle gears do really sing.

I guess that it's a little of getting used to it, being lots quieter with the Synchromax, and breakin occurring, but the noise is hardly noticable for me now.

Mine' date=' too. I was really alarmed at the noise produced with Kevin's (of The Gearbox) specified breakin gear lube - non-synthetic ATF - so much that I thought there was a problem and called. He said, "Remember those old Muncie Rock Crushers?" Those narrow angle gears do really sing.

I guess that it's a little of getting used to it, being lots quieter with the Synchromax, and breakin occurring, but the noise is hardly noticable for me now.[/quote']

Thanks guys. I'll probably drain the break-in fluid and put in straight Synchromax for round two. How many miles did you drive for break-in?

Overall I'm just glad to have to car back on the road. It sure is fun and even a little scary to drive. :mrgreen: Just the way I like it. I finally got the AFR's nailed and the car woke up. At a relatively low 13psi the car pulls like it used to at 19psi. Tim, I'll get working on the Tec3 stuff probably late this week or next.

John

The G-Force T-5 from Kevin at the Gearbox is not rebuilt. It's a completely new transmission. The only major thing Kevin requires is the 83 280ZXT T-5 tailshaft and the plastic speedo gear on the mainshaft. Everything else is brand new.

Transmissions are not my expertise so I have any serious work done by a professional. I like to put them in once without worrying about whether I did things correctly.

John

Do you mean speedometer gear? I assume so. Speed gears refers to gears on the mainshaft. Gears not on the mainshaft are part of the cluster or countershaft.

Please post more specs! What input shaft did you use? How about output shaft? Clutch spline?

The more I get into the T5, the more it looks like a Ford box will almost bolt right up to the Nissan motor, with just a clutch disc change? Probably have to disassemble and modify the spline length and pilot bearing diameter? As noted in the other thread, I'm going to keep pursuing this. A set of 3.90 in the R200 with the 2.95 first gear T5 and the .59 OD would be sweet in a street car!

Mike,

Please see my corrected post above regarding the speedo gear. Thanks for catching the typo.

I had my transmission beefed beyond what most people do since I'll be using it for other applications later on. Basically I had Kevin build the T-5 as strong as possible. The G-Force gears in mine are 2.94, 1.94, 1.34, 1.00 and .75. I had the mainshaft upgraded to a 9310 alloy. The case is a reinforced G-Force unit that has additional bearing support. The input shaft is a Chevy 26 spline that is machined for a L28 pilot bushing. The output shaft is a 28 spline Ford (Same as a C4). I think there may be other ratios available. Mine were ideal so I didn't look much further. The transmission can be used with almost any engine that's compatible with a T-5. This assumes you change the bell housing and possibly the input shaft. If you are interested the best thing to do is to call Kevin at the Gear Box. He'll do a good job for you. Be prepared to open your wallet and wait a month or two for delivery.

http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

http://www.thegearbox.org/index.html

John