HybridZ

rebuild check list

nategdizzle

Guest ON3GO

i know this is so so so soooo simple that i shouldnt even say this but ill say it because some people just do it the hard way.

make sure timing is right.

install timing cover.

then install oil pan last.

i know... simple stuff ppl should know but i see alot of people that try to install the timing cover after they installed the oil pan/gasket!

mike

Is the "how to rebuild your Datsun Engine" book much better then a shop manual ;surely better then chiltons for references and illustrations. I have the "how to modify " book but know I think I should have gotten the rebuild book to make sure I get the basics right.

Saying all that was basically my advice to do it by the book or atleast have a reference to help guide you so you don't miss anything

The "how to rebuild your Datsun engine" book says to put the head on first, and then put the timing cover on. To ON3GO's point, one time I followed that advice and for the first time ever had a coolant leak into the oil sump. Turns out I had pinched the head gasket ever so slightly pushing the timing cover on so that it wouldn't seal tight against the block. Needless to say, if you haven't replaced your timing cover with the head on and engine and radiator in the car after just having rebuilt everything, you haven't lived :(

Lot's of fun to clean an oil/coolant mixture off your new clean engine too :violin:

Other than that, the book is great!

Put the timing gear on faceing the right way (its the worm gear thats on the crank shaft) there is a beveled edge on the inside of the diamiter. That beveld edge either goes in or out I don't remember, just put it the right way. Use the correct torque order on the head, and get the timing right.

good luck!:burnout: