HybridZ

Dissapointed at the Dyno...

Guest zfan

Dyno's are useful but not the end all. My 385 sbc has been on the dyno twice and only puts down 367 rwhp and 420 rwtq. Numbers suck as I thought myself but if the numbers are so bad how come the car goes 10.80 at 125 on the motor?

I have for the most part given up on the numbers game. I have ripped a new one in so many 500-600 hp cars it's unreal! My friend has a ZZ4 crate motor/700r4 combo. The motor is rated at 385 hp but when dyno'd it put 270 to the wheels in his little Jenson Healy. Car goes 12.10 at 115.

The dyno is good for tuning issues which you have, figure the fuel out and enjoy the ride! I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers.

Mike

Guest 421 Z
Dyno's are useful but not the end all. My 385 sbc has been on the dyno twice and only puts down 367 rwhp and 420 rwtq. Numbers suck as I thought myself but if the numbers are so bad how come the car goes 10.80 at 125 on the motor?

I have for the most part given up on the numbers game. I have ripped a new one in so many 500-600 hp cars it's unreal! My friend has a ZZ4 crate motor/700r4 combo. The motor is rated at 385 hp but when dyno'd it put 270 to the wheels in his little Jenson Healy. Car goes 12.10 at 115.

The dyno is good for tuning issues which you have' date=' figure the fuel out and enjoy the ride! I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers.

Mike[/quote']

Intriguing...my 421 showed 399 rwhp and 431 rwtq w/ 11.9 qtr mile @ 120 mph and 12.0 qtr mile @ 127 mph, these were the first runs on the motor having no traction or tuning on the MSA Dyno 2 years ago. I know now that I am losing at least a second at the line with no traction and even more w/ my T5. Are you running an automatic?

Heeee Hee, I think I figured out my problem. It seems that the vacuum secondaries on my carb are not working. I bought this carb as a referb and it is possible that they never worked! I've been driving a beefed up 350 with a 2 barrel carb on it for quite some time! I went from a quadrajet to this carb and always thought it was odd that I didn't feel the secondaries come in but compared to the q-jet just blew it off as a diff carb. I think that explains everything from the low hp on the dyno to the lean mixture. If it has been broke for a year then I may have run 12.7's on a 2 barrel carb!

Needless to say, I'm pretty pumped to get it straightened out.

Thanks for all your input

Jeff

Intriguing...my 421 showed 399 rwhp and 431 rwtq w/ 11.9 qtr mile @ 120 mph and 12.0 qtr mile @ 127 mph, these were the first runs on the motor having no traction or tuning on the MSA Dyno 2 years ago. I know now that I am losing at least a second at the line with no traction and even more w/ my T5. Are you running an automatic?

Yes I am running an automatic. It's a built 700r4, not the best transmission but has been a work horse for me. 2 plus years of abuse and no problems...knock on wood. I cut a decent 60 ft. too as that will help you a bunch. 235/60-15 Mickey Thompson Drag radials and adjustable coil overs have netted me a best of 1.49 60 ft.

Oh and a 3500 rpm 9.5" converter helps too.

Mike

Guest 421 Z
With a manual trans and a light Z - DUMP the vac secondary carb!

I learned the hard way.

I'd go for a 750 DP' date=' an HP series if you can afford it.[/quote']

I am already running a modified 850DP Holly w/ no vac secondaries