HybridZ

Dissapointed at the Dyno...

Is this a common problem among middle aged men?

Here's my build and I'll list the results below. SBC, .030 over, flat tops, Sportsman II heads, small chamber, 2.02 valves, Comp cams Xtreme energy (CS XE274H-10), can give specs if needed, torker II intake, holley 600, Hei with MSD coil and 6AL box, block huggers running thru a 3" single with a flowmaster at the end. Oh Yeah, T5 tranny.

Here's my numbers, I expected more, tell me if my expectations were off or if my setup is off.

Numbers are at the rear wheels.

MAX HP 274.5 @ around 5800-6000, rev limiter was set at 6000 and it was still climbing.

MAX torque was 288.4 at around 4200

Fuel mixture was lean all the way thru, avg around 15, spiked to almost 17 at 3700 rpm.

What do you guys think. I have a performer RPM intake ready to go on, also have an edelbrock 750 to play with.

Comp went to 369 at the crank with that cam. I would think 300 at the wheels is a reasonable goal.

http://www.compcams.com/Technical/DynoSheets/XE274H-10_001.asp

Put the intake on, spend some time at the dyno with both carbs, get the jetting to 12.5-12.7 at WOT, and do a timing loop to see how much timing it likes.

Edit: Also check to absolutely sure you're getting WOT. An easy but common mistake.

jt

My heads are quite a bit better than the SR's that comp cams tested with. I have an old Hot Rod article where they tested these heade (I actually modled my motor after the one they built) In the end, they got 415 hp with the same heads and cam that I have fed thru a performer RPM and edelbrock 750.

Stoopid question, what's a timing loop?

Is this a common problem among middle aged men?

Here's my build and I'll list the results below. SBC' date=' .030 over, flat tops, Sportsman II heads, small chamber, 2.02 valves, Comp cams Xtreme energy (CS XE274H-10), can give specs if needed, torker II intake, holley 600, Hei with MSD coil and 6AL box, block huggers running thru a 3" single with a flowmaster at the end. Oh Yeah, T5 tranny.

Here's my numbers, I expected more, tell me if my expectations were off or if my setup is off.

Numbers are at the rear wheels.

MAX HP 274.5 @ around 5800-6000, rev limiter was set at 6000 and it was still climbing.

MAX torque was 288.4 at around 4200

Fuel mixture was lean all the way thru, avg around 15, spiked to almost 17 at 3700 rpm.

What do you guys think. I have a performer RPM intake ready to go on, also have an edelbrock 750 to play with.[/quote']

Hmmm, I see for one that you probably need a 750 Carb (Ask PoundZ the differences he experienced with the carb change). I prefer Holley over Edlebrock but thats just me. A double pumper will produce more horsepower. Your cam is only one step below mine and as I rememebr I ran a 274 in the past and it was very torquey. The RPM intake should def help the numbers as well. I dont know about the single pipe exhaust and how it compares to a true dual but there may be some more power there. The true answer lies in the heads as well. Do you know the flow numbers? What stall are you running? I ask because I see you ran a 12.7 at 110. I run a 11.9 at 111. I have mine leaned out a bit but ran a 12.5 at 114 with a 2800 stall. I de jetted the carb a bit and installed a 3500 stall and ran 6 tenths quicker (due to a 3 tenths gain on launch) but 3 MPH slower. I also noticed that the timing was crucial. originally had it set to 12 advance and it runs much slower. I set it at around 4 advance initial timing and it runs like a bat out of hell. If I jetted the carb back up too much I had plug fouling problems....There are many factors involved with that however. When its cooler it will take more initial advance. Look at your plugs to determine fuel conditions. My 350 may be up for sale....a new 434 stroker SBC is in the works....now I just have to have the balls to go 9s....we shall see...

P.S. When I dynoed the car in Okinawa it produced 379 RWHP and I think 360 Torque at 6129 RPMS at sea level. I probably lost about 30 to 40 HP by being where I am in Texas. The build was supposed to be 450 at the crank but prolly a little less than that. Mine is a roller setup however.

Terry

the swap to the RPM intake and 750cfm carb is a good idea!

get your F/A ratio closer to about 12.7-13.0:1 all the way thru the rpm band.

you didn,t mention your rear gear ratio , header type/size or the engines static compression ratio, but Id bet I could pick a better cam sellection if I knew those!

while Ive had decent results a few times with that comp 274 xe theres much better choices if MAX hp is the goal.PROVIDED the rest of the components also match the cams potential

Timing loop means trying different timing to see what the motor like best. for reasons unknown to me, some motors like more timing, some less. Lots of time 35-36deg is about right, but not always.

jt

Corzette, you asked about my stall, I am running a 5 speed manual. I don't know the flow numbers on my heads, World products may have some general info that I can get.

Grumpy, I am running block huggers, don't remember the size of the tubes off hand. Just your standard low end block hugger I'm sure. They both go 2.5" at the collectors then meet up and step to a 3" single.

My rear end is a a stock R200 and I can't recall what that ratio is at the time either (brain dead today). Somebody can chime in if you want.

Est static compression is around 10:1 (I was told)

This is not a race car, drive it a few times a week for a 50 mile round trip to work so keep that in mind. I just want to try and get the full potential of the major components that I have.

thanks for all the good input.

That's funny, I thought this was a thread that I had posted several weeks ago with almost the same title. I was shocked to hear my numbers and I thought it was a mistake. Must be a disease of middle aged men. They say a man can have 3 types of vices. Women, substance abuse, and cars/toys. I think the last one is the cheapest and healthiest, if not the most fun.

• Like 1

That's funny, I thought this was a thread that I had posted several weeks ago with almost the same title. I was shocked to hear my numbers and I thought it was a mistake. Must be a disease of middle aged men. They say a man can have 3 types of vices. Women, substance abuse, and cars/toys. I think the last one is the cheapest and healthiest, if not the most fun.

Spoken like a TRUE GEARHEAD!!! LMAO!

If you talking peak numbers I find that misleading, it's the area under the curve that moves the car, particularly the torque curve. On Racing southwest forum there has been these two dudes pissing back and forth about the fact that they laid down over 1000 rwhp on the dyno and which one is faster yada yada, your mama and all that kind of drama. Well, initially I was rather impressed, here are turbo v8 motors, one running 29psi, the other 30psi, in mustangs laying down 1000rwhp, should be good for 8's right!???? Wrong, one car ran 11.1 @134 and the other has ran 10.8@136. I was like oh, well, **** I guess the 1000rwhp doesn't mean shat!!!

I was dissappointed the first time I went to the dyno. 389rwhp and 412rwtq, but that was an old 406 combo with iron heads and a small .630 roller cam. The roller cam was way too big for the heads, even though the duration was 250/260, the sportsman 2 heads don't flow very well over .550 lift. Changing to AFR heads and another cam netted about 458RWHP and 530rwtq peak numbers and peak torque at 4900 and peak hp at 6000. Hard to beat those AFR's.

Sorry, The Stang talk got my blood running. Can you post a pic of your dyno run and the A/F plot during your run. As said above do not dyno that car again till you correct the lean condition. I can take your info to my dyno guru with your set-up and I can get back to you if you like.

LARRY

I have a question about how the dyno calculates. They run it in third gear right? He entered my car as a 76 z (which it is) but with a different tranny, thus possibly diff gear ratios, could that throw the calculations off? I guess I am trying to understand how the # is calculated with these variables. Maybe it has nothing to do with all that, just got me wondering....