HybridZ

Differences between GT-R Turbos...

240Z_Master

N1 turbos have steel wheels. They are also a fair bit larger. The stick R32 and R33 have .42 A/R front side and I think a .46 hot side (I could be wrong on this part). The N1's have a .60 front side and a .64 hot side. Also, the R34 has a slightly different turbo. They are somewhere in between these, I'm not sure of exact specs. Lastly, the R34 N1 turbos have the same specs as the R32 N1's, but are ball bearing.

Brian

The best turbo Nissan/Nismo sells is the GT Lemans. 62 trim comressor wheel in a .60 A/R TO4B compressor housing (still a bolt on for the RB26). Inconel CD79 trim turbine with a 15 degree cut back (clip) on the blades. A/R .64 exhaust housing with large inlet. Max compressor efficiency is a whopping 77%. Rated for a 125% power output at 1.6 kg/cm of boost on a stock motor. I've used them before, and they're awesome, but with a retail price of 188,000 yen each, they're about the same price as the HKS 2530 kit. A little more lag than the 2530, but better power output up top. They're specified as a race-only turbo for circuit use, but I've had a set on a 600hp daily driver for over three years.

Matt' date=' how close do you think mine will be to the drivabilty of the Lemans?

gt2540rcompress5pa.th.gif

I've used the 2540's before on a GT-R. They spool quite nicely as long as you have aftermarket maniflod/s. The bolt-on version from HKS has the large inlets that are about 1/3 larger than the stock exhaust manifold outlets. I don't remamber what the potential airflow is for the 2540's but the GT Lemans are rated at about 650 for the pair.

Matt, how do the single GT2540's spool on a RB25DET? My friend got one as a replacement for his stock turbo. This was a nice direct fit replacement for the stock turbo. 0 problems, and although it is not much larger physically, the impellers are 7mm larger on the compressor and the turbine. It should be good for a solid 18psi of boost, and I figured that since all six cylinders are going though it there should not be much lag.

My friend scored it on ebay for $900, which is a good deal because this turbo goes for $2K new.

Chris Rummel

Matt' date=' how do the single GT2540's spool on a RB25DET? My friend got one as a replacement for his stock turbo. This was a nice direct fit replacement for the stock turbo. 0 problems, and although it is not much larger physically, the impellers are 7mm larger on the compressor and the turbine. It should be good for a solid 18psi of boost, and I figured that since all six cylinders are going though it there should not be much lag.

My friend scored it on ebay for $900, which is a good deal because this turbo goes for $2K new.

Chris Rummel[/quote']

Wait... are we talking about the GT2540 or the GT2540R? The GT2540 is T3 flanged and the GT2540 is T25 flanged.

I would imagine it spools up quite nice for a single turbo RB25DET application, but the high horse numbers wont be there.

Guest JAMIE T

I have HKS GT2540R's and I'd say they'd be to small for a single application on anything bigger than a 2.0L. I think they're rated at around 375 hp each. I'm using them as a pair on my RB26.

That is for per turbo, I believe that PS is slightly higher then hp if I recall correctly. My convertion table will convert Kilowatts and several other measurements to hp but doesn't have ps.

Our target for my friends car is ~ 400hp eventually when it is all tuned and after we upgrade the injectors and go to using the power FC. We didn't go with a T4/T3 because we wanted the turbo to be a direct bolt on with an internal wastegate, and it is hard to find the larger Turbos that have the internal wastegate, most of the better larger ones that still have the internal wastegate have T25 flanges so for ease of install we got this turbo. Granted we are trading top end numbers for spool and driveabilty, there are guys in Austrailia that turn the stock turbo into what is basically this same turbo that are getting numbers around what we are looking for.

400hp is our uppermost limit, so although the turbo will have a harder time getting there, that is the max we are looking to make, and we are more conserned with reduction of lag and more power under the curve then all top end dyno numbers.

For ease of install, this is pretty nice too, bolts right on just like stock, except you don't have to worry about the turbine impeller grenading when you go over 12psi, it also has separate chambers for the wastegate gases and came with a really nice divorced wastegate upper downpipe too.

Once we get it in and start playing with it, we can see if the turbo is working too hard to get the job done, but I think it should do fine.

Chris Rummel