HybridZ

ZXT halfshafts

Z24O

hi guys

could someone explain why only the zxt halfshafts can be used in the r200 into 240z and not the zx ones(if indeed this is the case)....presume the lengths are the same,so is it the bolt pattern of the companion flange??

cheers

paul

Darrel' date='

You forgot the 280zxs have R180 also and those axles will not work. The axles must come from 280zxs with R200 and non turbo. However I've seen late model, non turbo 280ZXs with R200 and CV axles.[/quote']

what's the difference between the 280zx turbo and non-turbo halfshafts?

a knowledgeable member on this forum assured me the 280zxt ones he sold me would work for r200/240z with 240 stub axles with the 280zxt companion flanges....can anyone confirm this WON'T work?

Some non turbo shafts are u-joint type. These will not interchange with CV type shafts without also changing the companion flanges. All ZX axles are 25 spline and companion flanges will interchange. I don't know if the 240 axles are the same 25 spilne as the ZX's.

Z240,

The differences between the 280zx turbo and N/A is the outter flange. The turbo has the round outter flange and the N/A has square flange. Also the turbo has CV joints and the n/a has u joints.

I am sure that the 280ZXT CV half shafts won't work in your 240Z unless you get the adaptors from MM. I am not sure how many splines does the 240Z stub axles have? However I know for a fact that the 280Z stub axles don't have the same splines as the 280ZXTs. I just did my own CV conversion into my 77 280Z and here is a picture:

2079260_147_full.jpg

I had to cut the flange from the 280ZXT and weld it to the 280Z stub axle. I had to cut the 280Z stub axle to shorten it up so that the final piece is the same length as the original 280ZXT stub axle.

Some non turbo shafts are u-joint type. These will not interchange with CV type shafts without also changing the companion flanges. All ZX axles are 25 spline and companion flanges will interchange. I don't know if the 240 axles are the same 25 spilne as the ZX's.

all early 260 and 240z rear-ends are 25 spline companion flange on the r180(the turbo 280zx splines are the same as the 240's) i beleive,the later 260z's were 27 spline

so apart from cv's vs unis....what are the differences between turbo and non turbo 280zx halfshafts?

some 280zx non turbos came out with cv halfshafts....at least i have seen them in australia...ARE THESE DIFFERENT IN ANY WAY TO THE TURBO ONES

cheers

paul

The ZX Turbo and non turbo CV shafts are apparently the same thing. I just put some ZX non Turbo CV shafts and 25 spline companion flanges in my 240Z.The parts came out of a '83 280ZX at my local Pic A Part yard.The passenger side CV assembly was too long so I swapped out the passenger side splined part that goes into the diff to a shorter drivers side CV assembly and things are fine.So it actually takes two drivers sides and one passenger side to do the swap.

Just Jim,

I have no problem with this:

"The ZX Turbo and non turbo CV shafts are apparently the same thing. I just put some ZX non Turbo CV shafts and 25 spline companion flanges in my 240Z.The parts came out of a '83 280ZX at my local Pic A Part yard."

But there is something wrong with this:

"The passenger side CV assembly was too long so I swapped out the passenger side splined part that goes into the diff to a shorter drivers side CV assembly and things are fine.So it actually takes two drivers sides and one passenger side to do the swap."

The longer shaft supposed to be on the driver side. If you put it on the passenger side then that's why you had the problem. I suggest you to check if the driver side shaft is snapped in the differential.

The longer shaft supposed to be on the driver side. If you put it on the passenger side then that's why you had the problem. I suggest you to check if the driver side shaft is snapped in the differential.

The splined axle shaft on the drivers side is indeed about 1/2 inch shorter than the passenger side making the whole assembly with CV joints 1/2 inch longer.I needed another drivers side assembly but the self service yard didn't have any. I watched the guy at the non self serve yard pull mine from the drivers side of a 280zx so I know it wasn't switched with the passenger side. Like I said ,after swapping the passenger side splined part that snaps into the R200 onto the drivers side assembly things were fine with no binding on either side.