HybridZ

With my DATSUN jacket...

CruxGNZ

I went to Brookfield Days (city fair) in my home town tonight wearing my Datsun jacket and a guy comes up to me and says:

Him: "I like your jacket!"

Me: "Thanks. You have a Datsun/Nissan?"

Him: "Yeah, I have a '92 300ZX and a '71 240."

Me: "Alright! I have a '73 240Z myself. What do you have done to your 240Z?"

Him: "Oh, i'ts stock. I'ts going to stay stock."

Me: "You have anything done to your 300ZX?"

Him : "A bunch of track stuff, a lot of suspension work. I race it at Elkhart Lake."

Me: "Cool."

Him: "Do you have anything done to your 240?

Me: Yeah, coilovers, sectioned struts, five way adjustable shocks, S.T. swaybars, poly bushings, 6 point cage, ect.

Him: "Wow. What engine?"

Me: "It's out of a Buick Regal Grand National"

Him: "I'm a purist. It was good talking to you."

Me: *thinking* WTF?

Yeah, so what the hell? He has a crap load of suspension work done to his 300ZX that is not stock, but as soon as I tell him what engine I went with, he turns and walks away.... This is not the first time this has happened though. But this is the first time someone scouted me out and wanted to talk, but then they walked away.

From this point out, I will not tell them what engine resides in my Z car. I will have more fun talking with them when they do not know.

If any of you have not bought a Dickies jacket and sewn on some Datsun and/or Hybrid Z patches, you are seriously missing out!!! I wear my jacket everywhere (my chick digs it), and I get not only a crap load of compliments, but guys that come up and want to talk about thier old Datsuns or thier friends that had a Datsun. Makes for some cool stories :) It's a good time.

Purists blow balls. That does suck though that he just walked away... seems like a BIG double standard to me.

I must agree most people do love the Datsun/HybridZ jacket, I don't get many older people talking or asking questions but it definitely pulls a lot of looks. Which rocks, cause I love supporting this site and Datsun.

Tyson

Him: "I'm a purist. It was good talking to you."

Me: *thinking* WTF?

1) Good thing he was polite.

2) He's entitled to his opinion even though it blows :mrgreen:

3) Good thing he doesn't log into this site!

'Nuff said.

Davy

He was polite, I'll give him that. But, I'm still tryin to figure out why, if something else works, which is not of a Nissan/Datsun name, why must you scorn it? I will never understand the purist attitude.

I feel I started to loose him after I said that "I" installed coilovers, sectioned the struts, ect.. I've run into this before, but for some reason, this got to me.

He was polite' date=' I'll give him that. But, I'm still tryin to figure out why, if something else works, which is not of a Nissan/Datsun name, why must you scorn it? I will never understand the purist attitude.

I feel I started to loose him after I said that "I" installed coilovers, sectioned the struts, ect.. I've run into this before, but for some reason, this got to me.[/quote']

Mat, you will always find people in life that have some kind of mental illness :mrgreen: Seriously, I find that kind of thinking a paradox of sorts and I really can't follow it. It isn't based in logic, really. I want to grab my computer and bear hug the hell out of this site whenever I read about people like him---long live HybridZ!!!

Davy

Why did he ask "what engine?" if he was such a purist?

I think he was trying to see if you were one of them HybridZ-ers.

he's probably one of those guys that goes around saying, "I had the shop install (insert-overpriced-performance-part-here)"

Mat' date=' you will always find people in life that have some kind of mental illness :mrgreen: Seriously, I find that kind of thinking a paradox of sorts and I really can't follow it. It isn't based in logic, really. I want to grab my computer and bear hug the hell out of this site whenever I read about people like him---long live HybridZ!!!

Davy[/quote']

you mean you don't hug your computer when logging on HybridZ......

What I've come to realize is that one persons "logic" can be way off from another. Which leads me to a quote I like "I'll take your reality and substitute my own." Allows for a lot of stupid reasoning and logic, but oh well.

Tyson

P.S. Chat, eh?

Him: "Oh, i'ts stock. I'ts going to stay stock."

Should've ended the conversation at this point and turn around and walk away so he become the one that feels "dumped." Us, them, it's just never meant to be.

I always tell purists that my Z cars were already rusted out/patched up/molested when I got them so I never had a chance to be stock in the first place...it's true but it's a pretty good excuse too.

It seems to me that he was very American; What works for me is good, but if what works for you is different, well, you must be wrong. He could have been a little bit more diplomatic, maybe entered into some friendly, HZ style banter and discussion. At least he didn't call you dirty names. Question: Do purists consider Bob Sharpe a bad person? What about BRE? What about factor Nissan racing?

Hey Mat, nice sig. I feel so honored.

Guest iskone

Yeah, the jackets are cool. I was in Seattle one night at a Physco Billy show and some chick walks up gives me a hug and is all "it's the Datun guy!" I was like "who the hell are you?" She's all "I gave you a ride home last weekend!?"

See always good times when you where your Datsun jacket.

Isk

From this point out, I will not tell them what engine resides in my Z car.

Never feel like you have to defend your modifications to your Z.

I have had several encounters with purists who initially tell me they like the looks of my Z, but then quickly assert they would never deviate from bone-stock with theirs.

I usually respond by saying that I'm sorry to hear that.

Guest iskone

Who cares what those guys think anyway. They are probably just affraid of a real Z car. Or don't know how to do anything themselves.

Isk

It's the Dickies Lined Eisenhower jacket. I like that jumpsuit! Pretty sweet :2thumbs:

For a little while, the way he thought bothered me. We could have had a really good conversation. I wanted to know more about his 300ZX, but he ended the conversation politely and walked away. Oh well, everything happens for a reason.

I don't understand why some people are so close-minded and I probably will never will figure it out. All of us here should be proud of the fact that at one point in our lives, we all decided to take the path less traveled and free our minds.

Yeah' date=' the jackets are cool. I was in Seattle one night at a Physco Billy show and some chick walks up gives me a hug and is all "it's the Datun guy!" I was like "who the hell are you?" She's all "I gave you a ride home last weekend!?"

See always good times when you where your Datsun jacket.

Isk[/quote']

lol!!!! thats hilarious...

I personally have nothing against a "purist". I mean being "pure" is their thing, and modding is our thing. If I am ever lucky enough to get a fairly nice original Z, I would love to post pics of the dissection/engine swap/driveline mods on a purist site and watch them squeel........................

Those purists are just too "prude" in a sense. Who cares what engine a Z or any other car has, as long as you enjoy the particular car that you are into!

I can just hear the purists whine when Jesse James or Boyd Coddington cuts up one of the originals................HA HA HA!!!!!!