HybridZ

Crank Roller pilot bearing direction?

zigzag240

A search didn't turn up anything on this one....

I'm installing a Nissan roller pilot bearing in the rear of my L28 crankshaft during my current rebuild.

The bearing itself has a thicker outer race on one end compared to the other, (to drive it in?). When I slip in a clutch alignment tool it seems to have the same roller clearance in either direction though.

So has anyone ever installed a roller pilot bearing and determined the proper direction to drive in?

Don't do it! Unless, of course, you enjoy taking the tranny out every few weeks to relube the bearing. That's a race only part and frankly not even needed for that. Everybody I know that's tried one on a street car has reverted back to the stock bushing.

I agree with Keith. I know very few people who tried it and I think most or all of them have had trouble. I think John Coffey even had his go bad. I never understood what the perceived benefit was anyway, but regardless, if I have a choice between bearing or bushing in a Z or any vehicle, I'm choosing bushing every time.

Yikes, I've been solid bushings for years but thought I would use one for my current rebuild.

I didn't realize they were so fragile...roller bearings last for years in T5 transmissions, I wonder if peope aren't lubing them...?

Its not that the needle roller bearing is fragile, but the location. The environment inside the bell housing is subject to the dust from the clutch plate, water, oil grit/dirt etc. that causes this type of bearing to fail, some engines do use ball bearings but they are sealed so all the crap cant get in and damage it.

The roller bearings inside the T5 or any other G/Box are swimming in oil, and the inside of the box is generally quite clean.

Also the bearing is only needed when in gear and the clutch depressed, (example when the car is stopped and in first gear) other wise the bearing does nothing as the crank shaft/flywheel and the clutch plate/input shaft are solidly connected when the clutch peddle is released.

I used roller pilot bearings on the Sunbelt engine I ran in the ROD based on Jim's recommendation. I replaced it about every 15 or 20 hours of use when I replaced the cluches. Its a part that's needed when running higher rpms (7,500 or above ?) but that's the only L6 engine I've run the roller bearing. I would never run one on a street car.

Here's what one looks like after removing it from the crank end:

pilotbearing.jpg

I used one once and it went bad after about a year of being driven daily. When I fianlly got it out the bearing had scored the input shaft on the tranny and I was lucky to get the tranny out without having to do anything crazy to pull the peices apart. It took me about an hour to pull what was left out of the end of the crank. What a pain it was in a job I hate doing anyway.:fmad: