HybridZ

Neutral Safety Switch

eec564

I'd like to be able to use the remote start in my alarm with my '82 ZX, 2+2 non-turbo, but I'm not comfortable hooking it up without a neutral safety switch to only engage the system when it isn't in gear. The FSM says I should have a FS5W71B. That is, according to the model variation table in the FSM I got from carfiche.com, U.S.A. car, 2+2, T-bar roof, non-turbo, manual transmission. That also means I have an R200 3.9, which counts out correct with my speed at a given rpm.

But getting back to my question. The FSM for the 5spd, non-borg warner WC T-5 indicates there should be a neutral switch on the transmission. I found the reverse switch (works correctly), the top gear switch (works in 4th gear) and the top O.D. gear switch (works in 5th gear). Only the reverse switch is hooked up, neither the top gear switch nor the over-drive gear switch are hooked up. There is no switch in place for neutral, nor can I find the mounting location. I wanted to check out one of the switches at a local parts store, they're supposed to be same same for reverse/top gear/od/neutral, but all the places near me have it as special order, so I couldn't just check it out for free without buying it.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing? Is there really no mounting location for one? Is the FSM I have wrong, the wrong one, or what? I'm fairly stumped here, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Eric

I believe the non BW T5 trannies don't have the neutral switches. I have a 79 280ZX with manual trans and it doesn't have the neutral switch. I am not sure the 82 or 83 manual trans have the neutral switch built in or not. However I have a BW T5 and it does has this neutral switch and I do have the remote starter hooked up to this car of mine. Good luck

Grr, I guess I can try going another route. Does anyone know of an alternate method of protecting against accidentally starting in gear? Or should I just get my hands on a Borg Warner WC T-5 from a turbo?

What you can do is install 2 switches on top of the rear of the transmission. These switches must have an arm so that the shifter will trigger it if the tranny is in gear. If you have a garage opener you can look at the 2 stopper switches on the track. These are the type of switches I am talking about. Install one in the front and one in the back of the shiftter. Hook both switches in series and to a relay. This relay will hook interface with your starting circuit. That should work. Good luck

Vinh, are you talking about checking the position of the shifter outside the tranny? There isn't much throw until you get higher up, but I can take some measurements and use normally closed switches wired in series. The remote start recives a ground signal to activate. If either switch (up/down or foreward/backwards, depending on how you look at it) were activated, it would be dissabled.

I can go ahead and get my center console out easily and try mocking something up. Any recomendations with where to mount the bracket to hold the switches to the transmission? Also, thanks to everyone.

-Eric

Eric,

Yes that was what I meant. You will have very little room to work with so your triggering mechanism has to be very sensitive. Don't worry too much about the switches. Whatever they are Normally Open or Normally Close you can use them to disable the remote starter. The remote starter should has a few inputs to disable it.

Tomorrow I will put my ZX on the lift to check it out for you. If you mount the mechanism closest to the tunel you will have the biggest swing of the shifter. Just have to watch out for the rubber boot. I will get back with you tomorrow. Good luck.

PS. I forgot to mention why would you need 2 switches. You need 2 because you will one in the front and one in the back of the shifter. Hope you understood what I wrote.

You don't need to get up on a lift just for me, I'm going to go ahead and pull my center console and boot off to see what I can fabricate in the way of a mount. I've got some microswitches from radioshack, part number 275-017 if you wanna see a picture of it online, they're single pole double throw, so they've got NO and NC.

The tranny ears look like my best bet for mounting, a bolt with a nut through each of them to hold my mounting mechinism on. I can try and fab something out of odd scrap metal I've laying around, as long as it dosen't conduct too much heat, namely from the exaust, after a spirited drive I can feel a slight amount of heat in the metal of my shift lever. I don't know what temperatures and environments those switches can handle.

My main concern about getting it high enough to trip easily no matter if it were in 1-3-5 or 2-4-R would be the body/transmission tunnel, not the shift boot. With a good hard launch, I could see the tranny twisting 3-5 degrees or more, or with a BIG bump, seeing as the potholes here in CA that are worse then many dirt roads in the midwest, smashing something up.

I'm attatching a JPG made in windows paint (KISS) depicting a possible mockup of what I may try. A cage that slides foreward/backwards, staying evenly aligned with the tranny, tripping either microswitch, wired inseries using the normally closed contacts. If you can't see it, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send you a copy. Let me know what you think.

-Eric

edit: I'm not seeing the thumbnail in my view for my pic, so goto http://www.geocities.com/eec564/idea.bmp to see it.