HybridZ

Ever started a job and then realised...

AgentZ

You probably have neither the skills or the tools required to complete it? I think I might be at this crossroad now with my 280ZX. I have found rust in place that I dont have the foggiest what I am doing, if I am following the right sequence or where to start!

Really now all i need is some insparation. the more I pull off th more i think that I will have to do a Mull style rebuild but the wiring harness and storage are my main worries.

Just needed to vent!

"I'll just get it running, then swap the body with a perfect one someone else already did."

It worked for me. Sure there's some rust, sure it's not perfect, the rear window defrost doesn't work, the door switches are busted, but somewhere, maybe even on this site, someone is doing a perfect restoration, and when I get into the next accident and roll my car, that drivetrane is going to fit nicely in someone's old project. ;)

I don't know what I'm doing 1/2 the time. Luckily there are people here who can help. I just take a bunch of pics and ask, and usually I get a damn good answer. It's a testament to the quality of people we have hanging around here.
Isn't that the truth! Its definitely a lot easier to get stuff done with this site and the internet in general. I did my last 240z pre-internet, and it was a tough learning curve. Had nothing to go on but a Haynes manual.

I was ASKED......

"Ever started a job and then realised... You probably have neither the skills or the tools required to complete it?'"

I almost CHOKED LAUGHING at THAT!!!!

THATS CALLED THE LEARNING CURVE

theres not a serious hot rodder that does not find himself in that predicament REGULARLY, THATs the REASON this HOBBY is so ADDICTING , you GAIN BOTH, REAL AUTOMOTIVE SKILLS AND ACQUIRE TOOLS OVERCOMING THAT PROBLEM and GET a HUGE SENCE OF ACCOMPLISHMENT, and as a bonus you EVENTUALLY get to drive a customized car thats significantly faster than anything you can buy at nearly the price level AND have increased your skill level to levels you thought you would never reach!

and on the plus side you get to fix a wide range of other cars whhen your friends realize you have those skills and tools

and on the plus side you get to fix a wide range of other cars whhen your friends realize you have those skills and tools

haha, I didn't know that was on the plus side...

My next big project is a 350 single-turbo (never had one of those before) fuel injected (never used megasquirt before) T-56 (never installed a manual transmission into a car that wasn't set up for one) bad boy. Needless to say it's coming very slowly....