HybridZ

Sharpening drill bits

That's a good point, and bushing is a good suggestion, although if I could drill nicely with the 5/8 bit I wouldn't need to do anything more, so I don't think my 3/4" hole that I want to bush down to 5/8" is going to be too good either...

I was thinking of bending these things anyway, or cutting and welding them back together like 260DET did. Either way they're going to get HOT, and need to be re-treated. Maybe a machinist is required here. First things first. Sharpen drill bit and see how loose the hole really is...

I'm a jackass. I went today and bought a new drill bit because the only place I could find in the phone book that would sharpen it was downtown, about a 30 mile round trip. New bit from Home Depot was $18. Slathered some bacon grease on there, and cut the hole in the first knuckle in literally 2 minutes. Did the second one, probably took me 3.

So apparently I can't sharpen drill bits for one, and apparently that first bit I was using was already dull when I started for two. Boy what a waste of time that was.

The one knuckle that I spent all the time on really isn't very loose at all, and the other one is even tighter, so I'm going to run them as is.

Thanks for the help everyone, but it looks like if I had started out with a new bit in the first place this would have been EASY... :banghead: