HybridZ

Z fuel sender help

Guys,

I need some help with the Z's fuel sending unit. Have anyone put a fuel sending unit from another car into a 280Z's tank? I have a problem with my fuel sending unit. I am using a C5 cluster so I have to convert the Z's sending unit to the C5. The problem is the C5 got the opposite reading ie. 40 Ohm = Empty and 250 Ohm=Full. On the Z 90 Ohm=Empty and 8 Ohm=Full.

I did a search and Pete P. wrote a nice little article to shift the resistance to another level. However for what I need the signal needs to be inverted which won't work with Ohm's Law. I guess it's time me to go search in the junkyards lol with an Ohm meter.

Thanks for any help guys.

Vinh

He's using a c5 cluster. Relabeling wont work. Got any pics of that cluster in the car? Good luck with the hunt for the proper sender. Have you considered using a plastic tank from summit or jeggs and cutting out the spare tire well? Alot of work to get the sender to work but if you were going that route eventually it would be one solution.

He's using a c5 cluster.

That is what I am going to attempt to do but using Z28 gauge cluster. I'm going to try to use the Z28's fuel tank too which gives me the sending unit and fuel pump. Hopefully it will fit!

Mark,

I don't have the cluster in the dash yet. I have to do some modification to my fiberglass dash to fit it in. For now I just hook it up for testing and hopefully get the car started soon. Right now I have a bigger problem then the Z sender itself. The C5 uses 2 fuel tanks and 2 different sensors. The PCM uses both inputs and then sends the data to the cluster thru the DLC (serial line). So first I have to figure out how to get rid of one of the inputs and then I have to get the Z sender to work with that input. Anyway worst case scenerio I will just hook up a different fuel gauge that can read the Z sender some where else.

I just spent some money to redo my stock tank so I have no intention of going with any other fuel tank. Also I don't want hack up the car if I don't have to.

I am getting ready to send out my PCM for removing the VATS and other unused stuffs. I should be able to start up the car after that. I have some pics in the link in my Sig. Thanks for the responses.

tried it today and it didn't work. I can get it to display 1/2 full or empty. I saw it jump to full one time and couldn't reproduce it after that. Ah I will let this thing wait. I will concentrate getting the car start up first.