HybridZ

Front-outer bearing orientation...

Guest Palmer

Guest Palmer

I lost a lot of pics of my 'disassembly' when my hard drive crashed so I lost a lot of answers to my questions. The orientation of the front wheel bearing: does the larger diameter end face the tire or the car? All the pics in the shop manuals and catalogs have a circular picture of the bearing and not the 'cone like' shape of the bearing as it really is. I can't tell from the pic on the Atlantic Z Car bearing page which way it is actually in the hub...

Guest Palmer

I should have clarified this...I haven't taken out the inner bearing and everything is loaded with grease. So, is pic 1 or pic 2 the correct way?

front_thumb.jpg

Which way allows the bearings to hit the race, and which way doesn't? Which way can you put the nut on the end of the shaft, and which way doesn't leave room for the nut on the end of the shaft.

Come on, man. I'm not trying to bust your balls here, but if you can't figure that out maybe you shouldn't be working on the car... that's brutal honesty here, not trying to be an *******. If I were you I would seriously consider taking your car to a shop for any other work that it needs, and again, I'm saying that while thinking of your best interests.

I'm with Jon on this, but to answer your question it's pic #2. It's the only way the bearing will fit in the race in the hub! This is just one reason NOT to drink beer and work on your car at the same time! Drink the beer AFTER your done.:rolleyesg

Guest Palmer

I was married briefly and lost everything, including a house, so my balls have already been busted. Next time I post I'll try and make myself not sound like too much of an idiot.

Get the popular manual for the Datsun 240/260/280Z cars at your local autozone.... $12-14... money well spent... there are a couple of different publishers... lots of pictures and chapters with indexes...

You needs to torque the castle nuts to 20ft/lbs (while spinning the wheel) and then back them off 60* or so... you should use a new cotter pin and bend it properly so that it does not rub the grease cap.

It can be tricky to find a torque wrench that accurately reads as low as 20ftlbs... Sears Craftsman has one that is affordable... you should use a torque wrench for EVERY DAMN BOLT!!!

those disk to hub bolts are important... you can easily warp the disks by overtightening them... ESPECIALLY with the aluminum spacers...

I would have the new disks turned on the hubs before I reinstalled the calipers and hubs....

Guys, everyone starts learning about a subject from ground zero. It may be basic, but at least he is asking the question WITH a picture no less! We all started that way--don't forget that.

He's taking the time to ask questions and do it correctly, in addition to using decent written English, so give him a break...

Davy

just swapped all bearings and seals on mine a couple of days ago.

It should go with the smaller end facing the middle of the hub, for both inner and outer bearings. just remember to repack the grease in the bearings.