HybridZ

5 Lug front hubs...

OK, I must be missing something here...

Zbarn sent me two 86 300ZX hubs, but they do not fit my spindles on the 74. What am I missing here. The diameter of the hub on the 300zx is smaller than the 240-280 hub diameter... Clear my vision guys...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Mike,

I have the 300ZX 5 lug hubs also but I have not tried to put them on yet. I will be going home for lunch today and I will measure the ones I have. Can you measure the ones you have and post the ID dimension. I also have a '74 Z (early) model and perhaps there is a difference in spindle diameters from year to year - I don't know?

Danno74Z

I have some info for you on the hubs. The ones that I have are from an 84 Turbo (84-85 turbo models were 5 lug). I don't have the wheel bearings but the races inner and are still in the hubs and the dimensions I took are from those points - best I can do because of the taper. Lug side; 1.46",1.775" inside 1.89", 2.318". Hopes this help a little.

I need to yank a front wheel off and check to my hubs and compare the two. I might be able to do this tonight.

[This message has been edited by Danno74Z (edited February 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Danno74Z (edited February 06, 2001).]

Mike,

I installed the hubs on my Z yesterday, and they do not fit like the early ones. They do not go all the way on, they sit farther out. when using them on an early spindle, you have to use a spacer to bolt on the 300zx rotor. I had no problem, it even uses the same bearings. the only thing I needed to change was the rear seal. is this what's confusing you? That's the only way it will work.

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

to elaborate on what Al mentioned.. the early z hubs have a "overhang" where the seal is that acts as a dust cover as well. its unnecessary. the 300 hubs have shifted the offset and thus the bearing are located differently in the hub... it may look like the hub isnt seated but in fact it is.. try installing the outer bearing and washer/nut if you get that on and it tightens up OK then its on..if you cant get the nut on as it was previously then you have a problem... dont look at the back space as its not the same as it was before....

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Call me an idiot.. Go ahead, I asked my fiancee to after I realized these hubs fit... Go ahead, call me it... That's right, you guys educated me.. that dust seal thingy was what was throwing me and initially the unit would not go on so I thought "Hey I got the wrong ones..."!!!

OK, foregive me for I have sinned...

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Sorry to intject but this 5-bolt set up is it similar to the one on morgan walkers red car. I want to add that wheel and tire combo to mine and get rid of the old school slots I'm running now the wheel debate goes on I want strong and light wife wants good looks this is the best compromise we could come to. thanks for any help you people can give

Guest Anonymous

Hello,

What caliper and rotor do you use to convert too 5 lug fronts?

Does anyone know what the lug stud spacing is in standard not metric?

If the rotor sits farther outboard what backspacing would you need ? Will a 16x8 w/ 5" backspacing possibly work?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Jeff

Guest Anonymous

This is probably a dumb question, but I've asked them before. Why the huge spacer? Is it to clear the caliper or to get the wheel out of the way of the strut, or something else?

Blissfully Stupid,

Lone

because the front hub is 38mm offset the rotor is attached to it....the problem is that the 240 caliper mounts are not for this offset hub...... so you need to space the rotor back to make the caliper a "bolt on".

you dont need a spacer if you mill the front face of the strut ears and make a spacer to mount the caliper on the other side and then thread the holes etc........

spacers is easier.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Mike,

What caliper is used in the conversion?

Do you sell the spacer?

I have aset of multi bolt pattern 16x8 Centerlines w/5" backspacing.

Is Ford 5 x 4.5 lug spacing?

If so I maybe able to use my rims.

I just installed my welded diff, cv axles and rear discs.

I would like to convert my rears too 5 lug also.

I will end up buying your studs and punch kit.

I know to take the stub axles back out and have a machine shop drill them. That's no problem now that I've done it already and have access to a slide hammer.

Just need to wear my BFG Drags out first.

Thanks again, Jeff