HybridZ

Brake pedal works until you start the engine

Sure sounds like the reaction disk to me. Takes less time to check the disk then it does to bleed the brakes.

Maybe a simple question but, how do you "check" the reaction disk with everything installed on the car? Can I unbolt the master cylinder keeping the fluid lines attached, pull it away from the booster and stick my finger in there? Is it possible to look in the booster and see it? Seems like the booster rod is in the way.

I have a similar problem in that the pedal is VERY easy to push with only slight braking action for the first few inches and then WHAM! the brakes instantly grab.

I'm trying to figure out whether it is just air in the lines, a maladjusted booster rod or a fallen reaction disk.

Stock 73 240z brake system.

That also sounds like a reaction disk problem DCZ. Search for reaction disk and you'll find a very recent post where a guy took pictures of it. Basically you should be able to unbolt the master and pull it off the studs with everything else still attached, then pull the booster rod and look for it. If you don't see it you can try to fish around in the bottom of the booster, or you can just take the booster off and shake it until the disk comes out. Either way, reposition the disk and reassemble.

John, two most common posts for reaction disk are as follows:

1. I've bled my system 437 times and the pedal still hits the floor. Pedal feels great when the engine is off.

2. Pedal has no feeling and goes straight to the floor then all the brakes lock and car screeches to a stop.

EDIT--I should also say that I've never actually had this problem myself, but I've seen it so many times that I'm just used to seeing the complaints at this point.

I hear you.... I just dont see it actually happening... I troubleshoot home brake jobs often enough for people in my club... I have never seen the disk problem either...

but what I have found is that peoples descriptions of their problems are inaccurate most of the time... If someone understands the system.. they would not have problems in the first place... It is ok to learn the hard way.. better to learn on your own with help from others when needed....

I would not entirely discount the reaction disk (assuming the pedal does not ACTUALLY go to the floor)... but I would suggest that you bleed the entire system FIRST...

I hear you.... I just dont see it actually happening... I troubleshoot home brake jobs often enough for people in my club.....

OK John, grab your bullet-proof vest and come on over to Durham. Beer is in the fridge! LOL!

Damian

Jon M - thanks for the info. Last time I "just took the booster off" cost me several scraped knuckles, a bonked head (watch out for that steering column!) and a bunch of cursing.

REACTION DISC.

The telltale symptom of missing reaction disc is fairly good pedal with engine off. Then goes to floor when engine runs.

For those that have the fronts grab and put you thru the windshield more than likely have the same problem but have adjusted the booster rod length to make up for reaction disc missing.

I spent a whole summer one year chasing this problem even making the mistake of lengthing the booster rod. That is a no-no with reaction disc missing.

• 2 weeks later...
REACTION DISC.

The telltale symptom of missing reaction disc is fairly good pedal with engine off. Then goes to floor when engine runs.

For those that have the fronts grab and put you thru the windshield more than likely have the same problem but have adjusted the booster rod length to make up for reaction disc missing.

I spent a whole summer one year chasing this problem even making the mistake of lengthing the booster rod. That is a no-no with reaction disc missing.

Well it looks like this was the problem I was having. I pulled the booster off the car but could not see any way to pull the pushrod out or otherwise access the inside of the booster without twisting the two halves apart like the service manual shows. So I held the booster with the master cylinder side pointing straight up, held the pushrod up and out of the way, and shook the booster so that the reaction disk could fall back down into the "well". IT WORKED! I couldn't tell by looking at it, but I put it back on without doing anything else and the brakes are working properly. Pedal is high and firm, just like Lindsay Lohan's . . . well, you get the idea.

Just wanted to bring this thread back up to confirm that the symptoms above can be caused by a missing reaction disk and that you can shake it back into place without taking apart the booster.

My pedal wouldn't drop to the floor. It gave very little resistance until it was pretty far in it's travel and then it was solid. I think the only way you could get the brake pedal to the floor would be if you had air in the lines.