HybridZ

my s30 drawings...

OlderThanMe

Kind of looks like 2+2...I dig those bumblebee stripes you've got going on in the back there too. Not too shabby for untrained, are you looking for back patting, or some pointers? I have a bachelor's degree in studio art, so if you want some help I could offer some tips, but if not, that's cool too. I say DON'T put the pencil down, it's the only way to get better, but you also might try looking at a z while drawing it until you get a handle on the details...

thanks! I have done a few Zs but they all looked weird because I could not get the roof anywhere near close. these two are much better. I started by tracing pics of Zs and have tried a few freehand with no aids but those were pitiful...and the posted pic looks too chopped...I did both of these riding in a car on teh highway...I have since fixed the bulged roof of the top pic and made the quarter window look much better.

I am starting college this fall so I won't be wrenching on the Z at all but will be able to do more drawings of what my Z will become.

w40354152.jpg

I think the first thing I notice about this that could use improving is the perspective on the nose/hood/passenger side a-pillar relationship. You are only going to be able to see some of those features from any given angle, and the natural impulse is to draw it in. The way you have it shown there, the headlight farthest from our viewing perspective should not extend out as far as it does. Bringing it back a little bit would go a long way towards cleaning up the front end, as a point of reference, that line down the center of the hood should mark the point where the other side of the car should be angling back, if you look at it from the top if forms a mild / shape (but it doesn't reference the sacred feminine in this case).

On the back, there is something wrong with the angle of the hatch, and it's relationship to the quarter window, which is what gives it that 2+2 flavor. I assume you are shooting for a widebody, like a YZ (no headlights), so the actual shape of the rear quarter panels is pretty good, and you did a good job contouring the rays of the rising sun to that curve. I don't know if you deliberately left the lines of the door off, or if you are planning to smooth out that other character line that runs along the rocker panel between the wheels, but that goes a long way towards giving some perspective to the side skirts i'm inferring that you've added.

A good way to test out body kit designs would be to print out a picture of either a stock z in the angle you want your picture to be drawn, or take a car with a bodykit you like and draw over the top of that picture. If you get a thin point sharpie and trace all the relevant details, then you lay a regular piece of white paper over that you can see just the extra dark sharpie lines you drew and convert it fairly easily into a line drawing. That would allow you to widen the lines to make widebodies, try out sideskirt designs, and so on without worrying about skewed perspective.

As for using the red wheel as part of your rising sun, I don't know how that would come off, maybe if you got something like an SSR Mk II that was just a flat plate, it would look cool...Another way to test paint jobs, if you have a playstation 2 you can pick up Tokyo Extreme Racer 3, which has an S30, S130, Z31, Z32, and it features a pixel by pixel paint program that allows you to do custom paint with a mouse cursor on every panel, and will even simulate primer if you play with the gloss feature (gray primer with black primer flames is dope...) and the game only cost $20 brand new, so you should be able to pick it up used for cheap...

I just have an xbox...not the 360...I worked on it a little to fix the front end and am upoading a pic now. I always tend to extend one side of the front end more than the other. I think the new version looks better but still needs work on the rear end as you said. I changed the roof and window so it looks less 2+2.

*edit*

looks like the driver side fender line rises too high. Got to fix.

*edit*

z drawingsweb3_thumb.jpg

sketch.jpg

Here's a quick freehand sketch I did after work without any reference material. It's not 100% either, I just wanted to see if i had a handle on where you were headed with the body kit and paint/wheel combo? I've been known to throw some pretty suspect freehand sketches together when I'm bored at work too (Saturn parts counter can get preeeeettttyy slow), like this one of my car with a P-51 Mustang style exhaust and street camo paint scheme...

datsunconcept1.jpg

(I feel i should add a disclaimer to this one that it was drawn directly in pen and with no reference material, and therefore there is no room for correction of any mistakes that were made...)

*edit* I mentioned some SSR MKII wheels earlier, but I actually meant to say MKI wheels:aab.thumb.jpg

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!!

that street camo looks sweet...giving me some crazy ideas...post apocolyptic paint job...that would be cool...

veritech...looks right except the s130 windows...I was just thinking of the rear quarter panel having the rising star...but that looks cool too. the hardest part would be getting it even. I would not want to get shot up by a ww2 veteran when they see a rising star...maybe I would do it on the roof general lee style.

That street camo is growing on me really fast...

I guess if you would ask the forum administrators and send them the url of this thread they may consider a sketches forum. That camo paint job looks straight out of mad max...perfect...At ZdayZ I listed my car as a Datsun 260Z Mad Max edition...lol and it looked it.

As cool as Mad Max is, I was actually (and still am really) looking really hard at fighter planes from WWII for both camo-schemes, and design cues to theme my z build. I really like the some of the German Naval camo, and the Japanese used a lot of shark pattern green top white bottom designs that might look cool. All the really neat exhausts came from the allies though, since most of mitsubishi's fighters were radial engined, and had exhausts leaving all the way around the circumference of the nose instead of a rad inline configuration like the mustang or spitfire had. Olderthanme, If you like the look of that camo, you're welcome to it, I'm going back to a modified version of my Roy Fokker Veritech skull squadron livery which i had on the car before it was flat black. I'll throw a scan of that up once i get it to my liking...

As a side note, if there are any old timers (like, REALLY old timers) still kicking, I'm trying to discover if there was ever a wing of either the army air corps or the Air Force proper that flew captured fighter planes for exhibition or testing purposes, and what, if any, was the paint scheme peculiar to that outfit?

I like it but won't use it on the Z...maybe on an offroad vw bug some day...or a beater Z...I may get a 280 ZXT to put into my 260 and I could swap in my 260 motor and make it a beater...with a camo paint job...there are plenty of rednecks around here that it would fit right in.

Not really, I traced a pic of my car, then added all the stuff I see in my head that costs too much money/time to actually put on the car:

Conformal stainless steel side pipes inspired by Buell

Fiberglass airdam with super extra custom lawn edging lower.....

Fiberglass ducted/ cowl induction hood

Obligatory extra wide ZG flares

Clear headlight covers

scan00012.jpg

Tracing really helped with the wheels and tires, for some reason i just can't draw those to save my life. In a way I guess it's cheating, but it's soooo much faster than all the plotting/drawing/erasing/re-drawing required to get the perspective just right otherwise.

Mike

• Like 1

Hey Z-tard, that's pretty good...the front looks a lot like that red car from the aerodynamics and monza wide body threads that everybody was all into a few weeks ago. I'm with you on this one, if you really want it to be accurate, tracing the outside edge is the way to go. Once you have a good line drawing, I like to copy it a few times, so you can try different things without having to redraw the whole shebang..