HybridZ

After much drama...

Probably too much drama for most of you! :puke:

The motor and trans are in!!!! What a great feeling. If any of you have been folowing I ran into about every possible issue w/ the T5 end of my conversion. But, after much grief, it's in the car! I'll post some pics this week, when I get them off the camera.

What's left to do...lots of loose ends to complete now that the engine and trans are in, wiring, fuel plumbing, cooling plumbing, driveshaft, fluid checks and all that other stuff. Hoping to get it rolling soon. My job will dictate how much time I actually get to work on it but it's moving faster than ever now and I hope by the next local Z show, it'll be running.

I am really thankful to have this place called HybridZ.org to vent, get others insight and solutions to my car woes! :)

Cheers! (Currently some shiraz and fresca to help w/ all the bruises and cuts I got on Saturday! :) Don' laugh till you try it! )

Cheers! (Currently some shiraz and fresca to help w/ all the bruises and cuts I got on Saturday! :) Don' laugh till you try it! )

You've got to be kidding' date=' no? Well, I shouldn't point fingers or anything; my favorite drink is Jagermeister, which most people hate. I just don't see the point of ruining a good Shiraz [i']to make what is essentially a wine cooler.[/i]

Hmmm, on second thought, I have some cheap Australian Shiraz that I'll experiment with.

Davy

Ok so here's the short version...

Finished up HTOB plumbing!!

IMG_0008.jpg

Kicked A$$!!

IMG_0027.jpg

She's in!!

IMG_0026-1.jpg

IMG_0028-1.jpg

Here's the rest of the story, took us about an hour and a half to get it lined up so we could get the bolts started through the mounts. I didn't slot my holes, didn't like the thought of it so it took a while but everything is square now :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/billz260/IMG_0009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/billz260/IMG_0012.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/billz260/IMG_0017.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v469/billz260/IMG_0022-1.jpg

Greta photos of the progress coming along nicely. BTW, the wife thinks the wine & Fresca will taste like a Sangria of sorts. I still need to gsather the cajones and buy some Fresca to mix with. Wine I have, Fresca no.

Please post your thoughts and experience with the HTOB and how well you think it works. I have the same bellhousing (I also have the Corvette bellhousing) and I'm not sure what I want: hydraulic or mechanical. I'm not sure which is "best" or if it really matters. Ah, trying to decide.

Also, what brand is the clutch you are using? Specs? Cost? I have the Camaro 5 speed, which is what you have.

BTW, good color scheme for the engine & bay...

Davy

It is a simple concept' date=' Davy: If a person can rig a nice stout mechanical linkage, who needs an extra hydraulic system to cause trouble?:rolleyesg

The difficulty (as with most things) is in the execution: Hydraulics are a lot easier to put together.

.[/quote']

This is true. I suppose they are similar in their relative difficulty to adjust? Eh, I may have to find out the hard way, but I already have some of the mechanical stuff, so that may be the way to go unless I find a firesale with the hydraulic components for cheap. Hey, I'm cheap.

I suppose what I would be after is reliability overall. I figure the time adjusting is just that: time, hence the reliability agenda. I suppose I should do a search :D

Davy

Laying out a mechanical linkage to get the right travel and mechanical advantage, getting everything to clear, and finding suitable places to mount the pivots is a lot harder than just running some line between master and slave of the proper sizes and throws. Still, I'd go with mechanical if it is feasible, as they are close to bullet proof. (Pivot bushings do wear out eventually, but in my experience, not nearly as often as hydraulics go leaky).

Most clutches that I've seen have some sort of threaded adjustments, but I think the more recent hydraulic systems have a slave with enough travel to work with a clutch disc from new to worn out. The slaves entirely within the bellhousing (mounted around the trans input shaft) would have to be that way. (I seem to recall seeing quite a few posts relating troubles with these setups. No, I can't quote one).

Bill, be sure to secure the lines to the HTOB so they can't move around and contact the pressure plate.

Davy & AG, I've been using the McLeod HTOB for three years now. After initial problems with o rings cut during assembly by McLeod, it's been working fine with no problems at all.

jt

1. Please post your thoughts and experience with the HTOB and how well you think it works. I have the same bellhousing (I also have the Corvette bellhousing) and I'm not sure what I want: hydraulic or mechanical. I'm not sure which is "best" or if it really matters. Ah' date=' trying to decide.

2. Also, what brand is the clutch you are using? Specs? Cost? I have the Camaro 5 speed, which is what you have.

3. BTW, good color scheme for the engine & bay...

Davy[/quote']

1. The Tilton HTOB I got is very nice, servicible and easy (fairly) to set up. There are two parts to it. The base, which replaces the front bearing retainer on the T5 which is threaded. And the actual unit that threads on to the base. You basically take the measurement from your Pressure Plate teeth (w/ clutch disk installed!) to the face of the bellhousing (trans not installed) Take that subtract 1/8" and make sure the HTOB bearing face is that far off the face of the trans. I'll let you know how it performs when i get the car running. (I also bought a new Tilton Master Cyl)

2. The clutch I got was the RAM 10.5" 'stock replacment' clutch disk and pressure plate. I aslo bought their billit flywheel to match. Total cost w/ the flywheel was high, I chose this brand because Mike Kelly suggested it in another thread. Clutch Disk ~$150, Pressure Plate ~$150 (machine shop said it was PERFECTLY ballanced) and the Billit 153 tooth flywheel was $245 w/ the ARP Crank and Pressure plate bolt kits. OUCH, but it nice!

3. Thanks! I'm going for subdle and clean. Shades of grey and metal seem to work pretty well so far. I think I'll paint the chrome alt bracket (the alt is black) and thinking maybe some Grey wire loom, or do you think black would be better?

JT1 - I'll definitly secure the lines! Thanks!

I'm going for subdle and clean (engine bay look). Shades of grey and metal seem to work pretty well so far. I think I'll paint the chrome alt bracket (the alt is black) and thinking maybe some Grey wire loom, or do you think black would be better?

Bill, thanks for posting the info on the clutch assembly. I'll probably also go stock replacement as well, but fortunatly I already have some of the pieces and won't have to spend quite as much!

As far as the color of the wires and your engine bay, here's my theory: use a color like red to make the whole engine bay "pop." My theory is that you need something to draw the eye in and then catch all the subtlety of the rest of the engine. In other words the relatively bright wires will subconciously 'shock' the onlooker and reel them in, whereas a completely muted look will be glanced over much more quickly and possibly dismissed by the uninformed. Generally when I see a car with 1 or 2 major colors in the paint scheme or engine bay, the best look is when a second or third color is introduced as a mere detail color, not en masse. In other words, it compliments the main color scheme despite adding yet an additional other color. Does that make sense?

Edit: I guess I missed the big red honkin' HEI disty cap! OK, you already have a third color in there, which is great, but it is completely at the back of the motor. Since red is the third color (good choice) keep it the same way. I think red wires to match would look great and not add too much color. Make sure to use a loom or bracket to keep them tidy since the viewer's eye will be drawn to them first. Again, this is totally my opinion. Borrow some wires if you can and mock it up---then decide.

Davy

Bill' date=' be sure to secure the lines to the HTOB so they can't move around and contact the pressure plate.

Davy & AG, I've been using the McLeod HTOB for three years now. After initial problems with o rings cut during assembly by McLeod, it's been working fine with no problems at all.

jt[/quote']

Thanks for posting your results. I know you race your car and drive it hard so I'll gladly take your opinion on the subject. I may be swayed to mechanical just because I already have the parts and A.G. makes some good points as well. Hmm, either way it looks like I can still have a win-win situation. That's a good thing :D

Davy

Red wires are a good thought, but what about the loom for the rest of the wiring. That jumbled mess in the background of one of the pics. I'm trying to decide on a grey similar to the valve covers, or just plain black.

Btw, my wife thinks I'm putting WAY too much thought into this particular aspect of the build, it's completly irrelivant to her that the engine bay look nice. Anyone else?

Red wires are a good thought' date=' but what about the loom for the rest of the wiring. That jumbled mess in the background of one of the pics. I'm trying to decide on a grey similar to the valve covers, or just plain black.

Btw, my wife thinks I'm putting WAY too much thought into this particular aspect of the build, it's completly irrelivant to her that the engine bay look nice. [/quote']

BLACK for the loom--don't get crazy with the riced out colors here. Its backround for goodness sake, but that's my opinion. Grey is another option.

Tell your wife you don't what your bedroom looks like because no one ever sees it except both of you. Wait for her expression. Tell her the engine bay is just as sacred (even more so) to a motorhead like you :mrgreen:

Bill you are the artist here, not the woman. This is your domain. Be the king.

Davy

Damn, I have to disagree with a moderator. Sorry, Davy.:-(

While I like red as well as the next guy, I wouldn't do my wiring in all red. I have seem this done, and when problems developed down the road, which of those red wires ran to the fuel pump??

Red wire looms or tape, cool, but color coding the circuits with different colored wires makes things so much simpler to follow/ trouble shoot.