HybridZ

how much would you pay...

silviaguy240

if this is the wrong section forgive me i dont come here much and it really isnt a for sale thread. more of a testing waters/appraisle.

1978 280z 2+2 5spd

-2nd owner For a year now. Car has been Daily Driven.

-Bought with 69,545 now has 73,850. oil changed ~72,000 mi and also Today with castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 both times.

-New Clutch + Flywheel resurface

-New Starter Selenoid

-New Master Cylinder

-Very Minimal Rust, 2 small spots on rear bumper and a little on the hatch sill.

-I would give the paint a B+, a 10ft car, minor chips on front end and doors

-2 SMALL dents on whole car, both could be pop'd easily.

-Small crack on the center console

The car is 90% origional. it was repainted in the mid 80's after small rust repair and then rust proofed. early 90's the front seats were redone and the rest of the interior is origonal. still even has the can of tire inflator!

pics of when i first got it. not much has changed from them.

100_1057.jpg

100_1432.jpg

100_1060.jpg

100_1067.jpg

100_1075.jpg

100_1077.jpg

Silviaguy240,

You're not in my neck of the woods, but I'll give it a shot. Here's what I think:

The car is clean and mostly stock, and I actually like the car, but...

1) It is a 2+2, which is a turn off to most Z owners/buyers. The car was meant to be a 2 seater and that's what most people want. Many don't like the looks of a 2+2, but this one appears to be be clean and without the dreaded terminal cancer. I like this particular car, though, even if I preferential toward the 2 seater.

2) The model year is 1978, which means it still needs to be smogged (in CA) and that makes engine swapping and modifying a bit more difficult. Everything must be smog legal and we would have to pray that it passes smog both a) initially and B) after modifications are done.

However, since you are not in CA, probably not subject to the same smog laws, the car is probably considered rare in your state, and it has very little rust + being in great shape, I'd think $3000 - $4000 is what someone might pay for the car. However, I'm shooting off my mouth since I'm out here. You would get $2000 in CA for the car. That's it. I hope I'm wrong.

Davy

yea..2+2 brings it down. but as Cruez says these cars arent that common on the east coast and most are rusted out or arent in this kind of condition..that may help me some but i was guessing high when i thought $6000 but more realistically im thinkin i could get $5000 for it. already have had a few people interested but i wasnt ready to sell yet and i gave em a quote of 5500 and they seemed ok with it..but there will always be someone that will buy your car for the price you want. just how long it takes to find em.

72,000 mi and also Today with castrol GTX high mileage 10w30 both times.

CASTROL HIGH MILEAGE 10W30 oil change increases it's value!!!

Seeing how I work for Castrol, thank you for purchasing our oil. If you don't mind answering, did you change it yourself? Where did you buy the oil? How much did you pay per quart? Where are you located?

Thanks!!!

David

I would like to think you could get 5-6K for that easy. That car is in really good shape.

2+2's aren't the favorite of the type of people that hang out here. But I could easily see a 40 something wanting their dream Z. You could still take the kids to soccer practice with that

Hell, it is hard to buy a running car for $2K anymore.

CASTROL HIGH MILEAGE 10W30 oil change increases it's value!!!

Seeing how I work for Castrol' date=' thank you for purchasing our oil. If you don't mind answering, did you change it yourself? Where did you buy the oil? How much did you pay per quart? Where are you located?

Thanks!!!

David[/quote']

yes, 22.06 for a case the first time then i bought 3 extra quarts at like 3.80 ish a pop at pep boys. in Delaware.