HybridZ

Side Window Chrome Trim

What is the easiest way to remove the chrome trim above driver and passenger side windows and quarter windows, so that once its painted I can get them back on. Also I was wondering if there was any easy way to remove the hood emblem and the 2 fender emblems.

Thanks

Dustin

1974 Datsun 260Z

:) You first have to remove the inner trim panel that goes around the window frame on the inside. It is that black plastic piece that covers the metal around the window. Before you can remove it, you have to remove the plastic rivets that hold the panels next to it also. All of them are interconnected. After you remove the panel, all you have to remove is 4 metal screws holding the window in. Before you try to remove the screws, spray them with WD-40. Most of them have rusted up and frozen in place over time. Let it sit over night to soak in. The next day you should be able to go out and remove them. Then slowly pry the window out and then do your thing. To put it back in, just do the reverse of what you did to get it out. Good Luck, Rich.

:icon6: You can remove the hood emblem with a screw driver. It has two sided tape on it. Just take your time and don't try to scratch the paint. The fenders are also done the same way. They are held in place by two pins that are pushed into the body. Just take your time and pry them out. The air vent on the roof posts come off the same way. Also if you want to take the window apart, you can do it. Just remove the screws on the sides and slowly pry apart. just remember how you did it, because you just do the reverse to put it back together. Good Luck, Rich.:cool:

;) The trim around the doors is pretty easy to remove. Roll the window down first. Then remove the screws holding the frame into the door. If I remember, it has two in front and two in the back holding it in. May be more. But after that the hard part begins, Just pry the part out of the door. It is not that hard to do. Just take your time and good luck, Rich.

I know on my '74 260Z the hood emblem was NOT held on by 2 sided tape. Nor were the side emblems, c pillar emblems or hatch emblems. There are two "pins" in the back of the emblem going through the hood. Two on the c pillars and I think three on the side and rear emblems. These pins have metal clips on them that kinda work like a butterfly bolt. They are perferated into a cone shape and once pushed in the holes they are the only thing holding the emblems on except maybe some 30 year old wax, dirt and grime.

If you are talking about the drip rail trim... you can get an older (strong) metal can opener and roll some vinyl tape around the end to take up some of the space since the rail is fairly small...

it will take it off without ruining it..

It is real easy to get the molding off on mine. I just lift it up. Seems like a design flaw. Have to remedy that.

On mine there were 2 clips holding it on, on each side. One on the front and one on the back. They broke off when I took the trim off because they were rusted out.