HybridZ

Has anyone had to take a radio back under factory warranty?

olie05

I just tried installing a JVC head unit in my car, and lo and behold, as soon as I hook up all the wires, nothing happens. I double checked the wires with a voltmeter and I'm getting ground, power, acc power, where and when it is needed. I'm about 95% sure I have the speakers hooked up correcly. Am I missing something obvious here before I make the drive across town to the authorized JVC service location?

Guest ZFury

You can run a wire directly form the battery to you acc & power wires on the deck just to check it. Just grab a long wire and run it out of the hood through the door, ya' get the idea.

Shouldn't be too hard to hook up the speaker wires.

Usually on aftermarket head units. the wiring is all the same.

black=ground

Power connection are red an yellow wires, one is for igition and other is for power consant (memory). don't remember which. won't hurt anything to mix them.

Each speaker have paired wirers. usually they of the same color but one has a stripe going down it (black or white). Some have a blue wire for power antenna and or accessories, Some also have a orange wire just for acc.

Thinking about it you might have mixed up the ign and batt wire connections. Also make sure the the "harness" is plugged firm into the head unit. Checking the fuse in the unit wouldn't hurt either.

Shouldn't be too hard to hook up the speaker wires.

Usually on aftermarket head units. the wiring is all the same.

black=ground

Power connection are red an yellow wires' date=' one is for igition and other is for power consant (memory). don't remember which. won't hurt anything to mix them.

Each speaker have paired wirers. usually they of the same color but one has a stripe going down it (black or white). Some have a blue wire for power antenna and or accessories, Some also have a orange wire just for acc.

Thinking about it you might have mixed up the ign and batt wire connections. Also make sure the the "harness" is plugged firm into the head unit. Checking the fuse in the unit wouldn't hurt either.[/quote']

sadly, this is not exactly the case on my car. I am using the harness from the old (aftermarket) radio, and it was made before standardization of wires. I have blue wires going to white wires and such. I double checked the harness and everything is going to where it needs to be in terms of power and ground. AND I am getting power and ground all the way up to the harness that plugs into the radio.

The radio will not even blink or light up or anything. I have checked the fuse on the back of the radio, the fuse in my line and the fuse in the passengers kick panel area. All are good. This is why I am going to take it to the manufacturer. whut a drag... :roll:

Guest ZFury

The reason I said to bypass the harness and hook it up directly to the battery (and ground it) is because you could have a problem in the harness and it cant hold a load of voltage, but tests fine on the volt-meter. This is possible if you have a weak ground connection or a break or something in the harness.

I checked the radio directly with the battery and i got nothing. I will be taking it in for service tomorrow and in the meantime I will be splicing the radio harness directly to the chassis harness. Right now it is going through another radio harness. It is a mess down there :shock: lots of ziptied and looped wires.

I just tried installing a JVC head unit in my car, and lo and behold, as soon as I hook up all the wires, nothing happens. I double checked the wires with a voltmeter and I'm getting ground, power, acc power, where and when it is needed. I'm about 95% sure I have the speakers hooked up correcly. Am I missing something obvious here before I make the drive across town to the authorized JVC service location?

Did you try that button on the front of the radio that says "power" or "on"?? ....ha ha just kidding

lol yes i did!

but i finally got the radio working.

I started playing with the harness and splicing it directly into the body harness and after tracing down some questionable wiring (anyone remember those split-offs that you push into the wire without cutting it?) I finally got the radio to come on.

I also rewired my speakers since one was louder than the other.

also... did z's only come with one speaker from the factory? in my fsm it only shows black and black with red stripe wire going to the right speaker. There don't appear to be any provisions for a left speaker besides the hole in the sheet metal.

Good to hear.

Mine (280z)came with 2 speaks mounted behind the interior panels behind the rear strut towers. Tore all of it out though. Why even bother with a old radio (except if it sthe original)? You can buy a cheap tape deck unit for $20 at schuts last I saw.

But I still have a 8-track player laying around somewhere:mrgreen: , should probably ebay it.

My early '74 260Z only had one speaker on the drivers side rear quarter panel, behind the strut tower. My early '77 280Z has 2 speakers. One on each side just below the quarter windows. The "dog leg" interior panel covers half of the speaker while the quarter window panel covers the other half. Both being perferated.