HybridZ

HELP... Whats my best carb choice?

I dont know what carb to use... I have a choice between a Rockchester quadrajet (650 cfm) -or- An Edelbrock proformer (750 cfm )

Iv heard that the 750 is to much for a sb 350, that it will flood at an idel.

is this true?... what will give me better proformance? Anyone with expeirence in this matter please help... its been holding me back from being finished... I have a proformer manifold, vortec heads and bored 30 over. if that helps... :willy_nil

Guest Dyno_Ron

The 750 will be a little big. About 600 cfm will be all you will need assuming mild modifications and 6500 rpm max. The 650 cfm will keep you safe without drowning it with a 750 (if you already have the Q jet, you always have the future option of going to a Edelbrock or Holley).

Here is the software if you want to try different rpms, ve or cubic inches.

http://www.virtualengine2000.com/Calculator2006.htm

1Nealio240z9.jpg

Calculators can be very useful for giving an initial baseline, but the mere presence of specific numbers should not be conflated with good accuracy. There are simply too many variables to get much beyond just a rule of thumb.

As an example, by most calculators my application seems to call for a 750 cfm carb, but with more specific advice this appears to be a huge underestimate. Off to the dyno in a couple of weeks (maybe...) to verify.

The Q-jet is most likely a 750cfm. They did make a few 850's but 95% were 750cfm. And since the secondarys only open as needed, GM put those on 283's to 454's. The very small primarys give it very good throttle response, very good mpg with light throttle input, and the very big secondarys sound great when they start to open up (very cool sounding!). Plus the carb is very reliable and is made out of the right material (not aluminum).

I hate edlebrock carbs! Throttle sticking, vapor locking, cheaply built carbs. Pure junk! I threw two of those in the trash a few years back. Edelbrock makes great intakes but they should be ashamed of their carb.

I perfer the Holley 750cfm, 3310 vacuum secondary carb. It is easy to tune and looks good. The Q-jet sounds better, gets better mpg, and makes great power but doesn't "look as high performace" as the Holley. If it wasn't for the way the Q-jet looks, I would use it on all my V8's. I guess I'm a little vain when it comes to my engine looks. I just like the way Holleys look.

Carb backfire is usually a timing issue, is it not? Also, if you are talking about the original 2.4 liter beint from a 240z, that should have had a mechanical pump I believe, so you are probably dealing with an aftermarket pump of some type. Do you have a fuel pressure guage to test for pressure? The Z carbs only needed like 6 psi, I don't think that in the absence of forced induction you'd need too much more than that even on a 4 barrell...