HybridZ

Odd idea? maybe. Bad idea? you guys decide.

mason4300

Drop in a Lexus Sc400 v8 engine?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Drop in a Lexus Sc400 v8 engine?

Ok, my mom drives a Lexus SC400 with a "4.0L V8 DOHC 32V FI" engine in it, I believe. Anyway, its a great car, but it's really heavy, being a luxury car and all, but the engine's pretty powerful. So what do you guys think about dropping one of these into a 280z? I don't know a ton about the cars yet, so I don't know. Just a thought, your guys' suggestions would be helpful. :)

P.S. if you have one of those "any car other than a Nissan sucks" mindsets, please don't pick no without giving it considerable thought. I don't kind putting a toyota engine in my Datsun, it's certainly less desacrating than putting a Chevy in! :-P

I've been looking at that engine as well.

So far this is what I understand:

- Cheap to get ahold of.

- Usually rebuild not required, most of the time just need to check the lash on the scissor gears.

- Very narrow DOHC, should easily fit.

- More aftermarket support overseas, especially Australia.

- Only automatics available stock, but there are adapter kits out there.

- Built NAs can rev to 10k RPMs (so I've heard)

- Flat plane crank (mmmm Ferrari sound)

- Has been done in a 280zx

- Aftermarket barely catching up, apparently stock cams are very limiting, and companies are barely starting to make performance ones.

Hmm... that's all I can think of now.

Mario

Ah, great list, that helps me out a bit in what to look for. pretty much the only reason I wouldn't/can't do this is my dad knows shyte about Japanese engines. On the other hand, he knows plenty about American stuff because his dad built (and still built) hot rods all his life. Not that I wouldn't mind having one of my grandpa's engines in my car, that'd be even better...thanks guys

here's a pic of the engine I could be buying. It's a '91-95. My mom's car is like a '99 or something, I think her engine is better than the older ones, but I know that this one would fit, anyway. (sorry about the image size, it won't stay scaled down for some reason...)

1UZE01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you go back and look at threds in this "other engine" section you'll see lots of posts about this motor in the last 6 months or so. It's been kind of a buzz word.

Seems like nobody here noted the actual engine name. The motor is called a 1UZFE All engines have codes like that, just like a 240Z, 260z, and 280z are all "S30" cars becuse S30 is the chassis model.

The 1UZFE is a great motor, but the one i've seen put in a S30 car has little documentation on the net, and the one in the 280ZX had a modified oil pan plus other modifications. It's a recent thread you shouldn't have trouble finding it.

If there is anyone who's ever put any motor in a Z, odds are they've heard of or are a member of hybridz. I'll never doubt anyone's plans to put any motor in a Z, thanks to the wild projects i've seen here.

I say go for it. I'd recomend the older engines since the newer ones (like your mom's) are the newer ECU standard OBD2 and that creates more hurdles to overcome in swaping. The newer ones are also VVTi wich is neat, but not needed. The newer ones also have a better head design but are a bit wider.

For more info go here.

http://lextreme.com/

Thanks a ton for all the info, it's been great to learn all this. I don't think i'll be putting a different engine in it for a while, so right now i'm just getting the stock one nice again. In the future, I'll remember all this. :)

Guest sack face

Go the VH45 or 41 !

But in saying that the 1UZ is a brilliant engine, and has been proven to be reliable, powerfull and cheap a million times over.

I just think nissans should stay in nissans if you can