HybridZ

MSD's

My MSD7AL2 took a crap today, no voltaget to the coil coming out of the box. It was running and I was tuning a gas carb for a race next saturday and it died, that's it, no fire. F'n crap boxes I tell you, this will be the second time MSD has rebuilt this box in 5 years of drag racing.

I'm getting on ebay and buying a magneto, screw it.

I at first ran jacob electronics for all my spark related stuff but had to return 4 of them over a 2yr period. And will never buy their products because of that. Since I've switched to msd I've never had a problem. I have heard of one of my friends having problems and then there was a few on this board but I wonder if its just normal wear and tear or actually poor quality. I have always used the rubber mounts that came with box to mount it though and I know my friend who had the problem did not use them. Did you use the rubber mounts?

Now that I think about it most of the problems I have heard about have been with the 7a's or digital versions. Anybody hear about alot of problems with that 6a's?

Yeah, it's got the rubber mounts on the box and the coil. Going to check it today to see if the magnetic pickup in the dizzy is out, or the box is out.

I've had questions about that box for awile now, been doing what I thought were weird things.

Checked it out at 6AM today, Ohm'd out the magnetic pickup, fine. disconnected the dizzy and coil wire, shorted the dizzy wires and yup, had spark, so the coil and box are fine. Took off the cap and low and behold the rotor screws came out and broke the reluctor. Box is fine, dizzy was brand new, had 2 mud races on it. :cry:

Of course the rotor is messed up too. Ordered new reluctor and rotor off ebay this AM, should be here wednesday along with my Ideal heated knife for cutting/grooving tires. :D

The heated knife will cut the boggers on the back and regroove my semi trailer tires, well, the ones that say regroovable anyway.

Glad it was something you can fix quickly. A couple months ago I went to the track with my 260z and had a similar problem. I drove it there and ran two runs but then all of sudden it ran rough and would barely start. Then it wouldn't start. Finally I took off my dizzy cap and the rotor screw came loose. Boy was I pissed that I lost 3hrs of track time because the screw came loose. Don't you hate the little things:flamedevi

They told you to install two of them so that if one fails you can hook the other one up as a back up?!? :mrgreen: That is sad but funny. Me on the other hand have never had any of my msd's go out. I even have had the current msd I have on 4 different vehicles and never a problem. The bad thing is I've heard lots of stories about crane electronics as well.

I was going to use a magneto with a controller so I could limit the rpm. Magnetos don't have the fire unless you use the $2000 Mag 44 version that's used in top fuel.

MSD's work great when they work, I've seen more than a few go out, but that's the way it goes, first your money then your clothes.