HybridZ

sub. in spare tire well

DAT240Z

I'm thinking about putting a 12 sub in my spare tire well. What I would like to do is install the speaker in wood and screw in down in the well. I would also install sound deadening. Has anyone done this and what is the Sound quality . Or would it be better to build a box to fit down in the speaker tire well and.

I didn't put a sub there, I put a fuel cell there, so my car sounds a lot like exhaust and road noise...smells a lot like exhaust and road noise too now that you mention it...

Are you talking about cutting out the floor, or just putting in an enclosure? Don't speakers need a certain amount of volume to sound right? I suppose you'd have to calculate how much you need versus how much you have available and go from there.

Look in my photo album. There are photos there of a 10" sub installed in a custom enclosure on the drivers side behind the rear fender well. It works really well for a 280Z as the other side has an expansion tank for the EFI system and it balances out. In a 240 you could have a pair - one on each side.

If you go to my cardomain site, its has a couple pics of the box we built for my car. It has 3 cubic feet which is perfect for my subs. The dark gery stuff in the box is the dynamat that we used. I used a spray in as opposed to the mat type. To secure the box we welded one end of an L bracket to the inside of the well. Then we used 6 other smaller L brackets and rivoted those into the deck. I made the lid detachable that way when i would need to leave it overnight somewhere (transmission shop or paint shop or just out of town for a while) i could take the top off and not have to worry about anyone breaking in for the stereo.

http://www.sounddomain.com/ride/111180/