HybridZ

Is everyone using 24 gauge mild steel for patches

20 guage here.

Was a touch thick in some aplications (just flushed up the metal to the exposed side), just right in others. Welded nicely, and was easy to fab on.

I call the local metals dealer and said that I needed some "automotive sheetmetal" they didn't even waiver and said "how much". I correctly figured that it would not be their first request.

Yellowpages under steel or structural steel. Some places don't like selling to the general pubic so you may have to call a few. Others will only sell sheet metal in whole (4x8) pieces.

You can also yellowpage scrap metal yards. The selection is hit or miss, but they sell it by the pound so you can really get some great deals. Even load up the scraps from the shop and basically trade it pound for pound.

I got lucky and found a metal working shop near my work that sells stainless and aluminum to the general public. They have a metal forming shop on site and sell scraps by the pound. I stop by on a regular basis and look for deals. They often have huge cubes of solid stainless or aluminum.