HybridZ

power

Guest zerzat

If you don't know where to start, then the best investment is on books.

Corky Bell's "Supercharged" OR "Maximum Boost" is a must read. I said "OR" because a lot of contents in the two books overlap but "Supercharged" has information specifically written for supercharger users. "Maximum Boost" was written for turbo users. Adding boost means upgraded fuel delivery(injectors, pump, pressure regulator), and computer control (modified fuel map and boost retard), ignition quality(coil, plugs, wires), and some other minor considerations like fuel choice and intercooler piping. It's difinitely more expensive and complicated than just adding a supercharger:)

Zerzat,

Your initial question and then later comment about not knowing where to start leads me to believe that you haven't yet spent much time reading posts on this website. I would suggest you do some searches under supercharging or turbocharging. Since the 280ZX L28 came from the factory with a turbocharger on some models you would be many $$ ahead trying to locate one of those motors and then building it up over time.

Guest ZFury

TY SpaceCoast. You really live on Merritt Island? I have taken that scenic route many times. You know where Pinetree Rd is? I once lived there.;)

I'm running the JCR kit, but with Megasquirt fuel injection. I picked it up used, so I don't know if you can still get them from JCR. I know that you can get parts, and possibly the manifold and pulleys from camdensuperchargers.com.

DSC00004.sized.jpg

Hear is a before and after supercharger dyno plot:

ZCCNE_280Z_SC.jpg

Any know if these Camden superchargers are wet or not? I've been running mine dry, and it appears to be holding 8psi of boost OK. I just don't want to wear out the seals with no fuel going through it. I'm in no rush to add more injectors ahead of the supercharger to lube the seals.

Thanks

Guest ZFury

I havent heard much about what you can and cannot do with wet/dry supercharging. But my guess is that if it is dry, you shouldnt have any problems. But you may not want to run a wet set-up on a dry charger.

Another Z-Dude here by the name of KJones runs a supercharger setup, might want to get some info from him. Nice guy by the way.

ZFURY- Pinetree? no, but there are alot of "Pines" here! Pine Island, Pine Pl., Pine Apple, etc. If you lived here before, I hope you have a good memory because the land has been raped pretty good. Condo's everywhere, and what burns my butt the most is the a-holes that move in and try to change our local laws and ordinances to suit their needs!

Z-YA As for wet or dry supercharging... remember this, A sticking injector could cause one helluva "hydro lock"*sp? condition. maybe the blow off would take care of it but your seals and the compression.. I dunno.

Guest ZFury

ZFURY- Pinetree? no' date=' but there are alot of "Pines" here! Pine Island, Pine Pl., Pine Apple, etc. If you lived here before, I hope you have a good memory because the land has been raped pretty good. Condo's everywhere, and what burns my butt the most is the a-holes that move in and try to change our local laws and ordinances to suit their needs!

[/quote'] Pinetree is off of Bananna Dr, which is the road that Tropical Trl. turns into after you go over the last bridge on the south end.

Condos... that is all I ever hear about with my father who still lives Beach side.

Guest dustin_ra

Hey Zerzat. Let keep in touch and let me know what ever route you choose to take to upgrade the hp/tq. I bought my Z, havent even touched it yet (in Iraq). So Im looking forward to doing a little upgrading as soon as I get home. ---81 280zx.. Im hoping to have much fun driving my car as many fellas say they do with theirs.

• Administrators

Any know if these Camden superchargers are wet or not? I've been running mine dry' date=' and it appears to be holding 8psi of boost OK. I just don't want to wear out the seals with no fuel going through it. I'm in no rush to add more injectors ahead of the supercharger to lube the seals.

Thanks[/quote']

I just heard from a friend that is also installing a Camden Super charger, Brian K., and he just found out after asking Pete about running them dry, (I think he contacted the manufacturer?, not sure), that this SC is in deed designed to be ran WET, not dry. As such, Ron Tyler is planning to implement a 7th injector using the new Wolf EMS, above the super charger just to keep it wet.

A couple other thoughts. Any one know what kind of seals are used in this super charger? Teflon maybe?

1) Purchase spare seals and just consider them “consumables”. As they wear to the point of it being an issue, your boost gauge should reflect this as a decrease in boost, time to swap out the old seals.

2) Possibly have another set of seals manufactured in some form of Graphite or other self lubing material to replace the current seals, so that the SC can be considered a “dry” SC.

Paul,

Something is not making sense with this wet vs. dry discussion. I talked to your friend Brian, and he has been talking to Andy at Camden. Andy says they must be run wet. When Ken Jones was thinking of using the Camden SC, someone at Camden said it was OK to run it dry. If I look inside mine, the seals are white. I'm assuming that they are Teflon. Teflon does not need to be lubricated. I've done a track day, and at least 30 dyno pulls with mine, with no loss of boost.

Yea, I can add a couple more injectors in the TB adapter plate I made, but I would like to avoid it if at all possible. I may just run it as is this year and see what happens.

• Administrators

Pete,

Hmm.. Interesting. At this point, I would suspect dry would be OK. It would seem that a the SC would be better off to run dry vs having fuel run through it, i.e. gasoline is more of solvent than lube?..

BTW, are the Camden SC’s anything like the Eaton ones used on the GM 3.8 in the Pontiac Bonneville SSEi and Grand Prix GTP, or the Ford 3.8 Super Chickens? Those are run dry?

Slightly off topic, but has anyone adapted one of those Domestic SC’S from the Ford or GM 3.8 to an L-series? Hmmmm…