HybridZ

rb24det questions

Thanks for the link will have to sit down at work and plug everything in to see where I will stand. The build will go relatively slowly as I still do not have a car to put it in yet. However I continue to find good deals on upgrade parts so I snag them when I can. This whole project is something to keep my mind busy until my body work on my other car is finished....Getting real close and the anxiety is killing me so I stew over the RB motor instead ....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rb24explainedinjap20copy.jpg

It has been said that this diagram is pertaining to a rb24 build, however i do not know of any rb series motor that features a 80mm stroke (the 40 x 2 on the crank) 80.5 bore x 80 stroke x 6 cyl = 2443 cc. 80.5 bore x 73.7 GTR stroke = 2251cc ~2.3l increasing the bore to 81 w/ gtr crank increases to 2279cc. unless my math is wrong, that picture no longer needs to be used in any more discussions regarding RB24's. It ALWAYS pops up

• 2 months later...
Guest TeamNissan
As far for my experience on how high the engine revs goes I think if you simply stroke the engine and leave the bore this would make the engine under square (meaning that the bore is smaller than the stroke). This under square engine will not rev as high as an over square (larger bore than stroke) engine of the same displacement. Formula 1 engines are over square engines and rev to about 18,000 rpm, aslo they are only 3.0L of displacement. I dont know of another V-10 so I will use the VG30E for an example... the VG30E only revs to 6500-7200 rpm, the vg30e is under square.

I know that if you put enough money into any stroker engine it can rev more than just a plain stroker. But most of the time a daily driver will not do this and will only do this if there is a return to their investment?

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this math. This is what I have learned about making an engine scream with RPM's.

No your completely right, its fun to rev high but it really serves no logical purpose on a street or drag car. f1 cars also go through a engine per race, large price to pay on a street car lol.

Well I finally found the car to put this engine into. A 1970 240z. It is stripped and nothing but a shell. But boy is she beautiful to me. I still have another project in the way but by the end of January I hope to start stiffening the chassis and upgrading the suspension and brakes since there is nothing there to begin with.

• 4 months later...

Build is still on going. Motor is in place. My HKS manifold with the To4E does not fit so I will have to go down in size to clear the steering arm. I am waiting for my Rb25 bellhousing to show up so I can get going with the tranny. I have been focusing alot on the interior. Just about done with getting the 240sx dash install done. Also working on replacing the front inner fender on the passenger side. Thought about replacing the front frames with units from a 280z as they are thicker and possible stronger.

• 5 months later...
*snip

the VG30E only revs to 6500-7200 rpm, the vg30e is under square.

I am researching the VG for http://www.vgpowered.com and somehow I came across this thread.

Sorry to revive an old thread...but this quote by racinjitter is completely false.

ALL VG's that have ever rolled out of a Nissan factory are OVER SQUARE.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to set the record straight.

I am researching the VG for www.vgpowered.com and somehow I came across this thread.

Sorry to revive an old thread...but this quote by racinjitter is completely false.

ALL VG's that have ever rolled out of a Nissan factory are OVER SQUARE.

Not trying to start anything, just trying to set the record straight.

You are right about the vg30e/et being oversquare, thank you for the correction. I will edit the first post to state this.

I have ended the rb build. I will be moving soon and wanted to get the project moving at a faster pace. Went SR and should be done by new years.

meh... gotta make sacrifices sometimes =)

my RB build is on the waiting list until I get my engine head (if i ever get the damn thing), and I just bought an almost immaculate running 1987 z31 5spd Turbo 2 seater =)

prioritizing is key.

Niiiice. Do you plan on modding it? If so go to z31performance.com. I need to make a trip up your way next summer.

Trying to stay away from sites with parts! GAHHHHHHHHHHH!

PM me about your trip up here!!! I'll request the week off from work, and we can go Z'in!

:mrgreen:

greenmonster... what are you doing with the RB, and how is the SR coming along?