HybridZ

Where the hell is a 350 in this town?!

I live in Tucker, GA, its about 20 minutes outside of atlanta. And I've been all over this town to junkyards and looked online and can't seem to get a hold of any complete engines, plenty of trannys, but no engines. Anybody have any ideas? I'm really wanting to put it into my 260Z, and I would like to start as soon as possible. Thanks.

Guest kellysguy

I've got them comming out of my ... It figures though, I want a 440 and can't find squat but SBC's are falling from the sky. BUT.......I do need a complete SBC 4 or 5 speed setup.........hmmmmmmm.

I've got a complete running 350 crossfire motor out of an '84 Vette and a '93 pickup.

This brings up an excellent point: not all of us are comfortable with E-bay or other internet-based long distance purchases. There is something to be said for visiting a junkyard within driving distance and finding a usable engine - if only a core. This shouldn’t be hard for something as common as the 350 SBC! For a number of reasons this option is in decline. Junkyards are closing down, while internet "commerce" is pulling the rug out from traditional in-person sales.

When I lived in the Los Angeles area I relied on the “Recycler” newspaper, or its web site; the latter combined internet reach and immediacy, with local convenience.

Anyway, back to the original question… consider buying a 1970’s-1980’s Chevy truck with a 350; these remain relatively plentiful, while full-size automobiles of similar vintage are becoming rare, and in the vast majority have 305’s instead of 350’s. Or, if you plan on a complete rebuild with heavy reliance on aftermarket parts, perhaps local machine shops already have bare blocks.