HybridZ

LT1 Alternator Wiring

Small wire is the sensing wire. It needs a 12 volt signal to it. I ran the out put to the battery with a fusable link inbetween. Some one posted a link a while back on alternator wiring. It was a very good explanation of the different ways to wire alternators and the reasons behind it. Try sreaching the electrical forum.

Ok after reading about the LT1 Alternator over in the electrical forum I am getting a better idea of how it works. The post on the back of the alternator gets wired to the positive battery post and the small wire coming off of the connector on the bottom of the alternator gets a switched ignition positive feed. Is this correct?

I was just looking into hooking up an LS1 alternator. A Speartech guy regularly posts over on LS1TECH.com says the sensing wire must have an indicator bulb or a 500 ohm resistor wired into the line. Running a straight 12 wire to the alternator sensing line will greatly shorten the life of the alternator.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40815

Don't know if the LT1 alternator is the same as the LSx, but couldn't hurt to do the above. You could even tap the sensing wire into the ground of the alternator idiot light. That would give you the needed resistance and a working idiot light.

On my LT1 one wire is the output and the other wire goes to an alternator light in my car (I used the old choke light on my console). I believe if you don't connect this wire correctly it will not charge the system. The other end of the alternator light is connected to an ignition positive. When the ignition is on the alternator light is lit because the alternator is providing ground. Once the engine starts the alternator give a positive signal and the light goes out (two positives). When I first wired my engine up I didn't connect the alternator light correctly and the alternator was not charging the system.

Ok, I am now just as confused as before. There is a post labeled bat on the alternator and there is the plug on the bottom that has one wire comming off of it. What do I wire up to the post and what do I wire up to the plug? I thought it was 12v from the battery to the post on the alternator and a switched 12v ignition lead to the plug on the bottom. Is this right or how far off am I? Pictures or diagrams would be awesome.

Ok, I am now just as confused as before. There is a post labeled bat on the alternator and there is the plug on the bottom that has one wire comming off of it. What do I wire up to the post and what do I wire up to the plug? I thought it was 12v from the battery to the post on the alternator and a switched 12v ignition lead to the plug on the bottom. Is this right or how far off am I? Pictures or diagrams would be awesome.
The post labeled bat is your output and the one wire on the plug is your 'sensing' wire that need to be connected to ignition positive (or the light setup I talked about in my previous post).