HybridZ

Will a R200 w/ turbo CV shafts handle a mild SBC and 4sp?

Guest kellysguy

Guest kellysguy

Can I get away with using the stock diff('76 R200) or do I need to upgrade? 383 stroker w/ mild cam,650 vac sec, 9.5:1 comp, etc.....(got it free ;) I can get an '84 C4 diff free possibly and might swap to that. I don't want to do a complete IRS swap, just the diff. Do I even have to worry about it? The car will mostly be street driven (hard) with MAYBE occational track use on Falken ZE512's (225/60/15). I've searched but can't come up with a diffinitive answer. Thanks.

The prevailing wisdom is that the R200 diff with CV axles will more than handle your engine. The weak point in that setup is the stub axles at the hub side.

If you do some more searching with terms like 300ZX Turbo CV axles, R200 strength, stub axles strength, or variations of those you should find more information than you want to read.

Wheelman

I'm running stock 240Z stubs modified to accept the 300ZXT CV axles.

The stubs break when shocked by really hard launches or lifting a wheel while cornering. An LSD helps to reduce the problem but won't totally eliminate it.

The 280Z stubs are supposed to be stronger than the 240 units. Do a search as this has been discussed many times.

I'm not going to drag race and don't have the power (or should I say traction) to break anything anyway. If I drop the clutch at more than 1500-2000 RPM the rear tires break loose so the shock to the stubs is minimal.

Are you planning to run an auto or manual tranny?

An auto will put less stress on the rearend. The drivetrain will be preloaded by the auto so the shock to the diff, axles and stubs is less than with a manual where there may be slack in the system when the clutch is engaged.

I'm just guessing but I would think your setup would be close to mine in power so unless you plan to drop the clutch all the time with very large sticky tires you'll be fine.

If you're really concerned, do the CV axle swap and while you have it apart pulled the stubs and have them checked for cracks.

Ross at Modern Motorsports makes the CV axle adapters and also sells billet stubs if you want the strongthest available.

Wheelman

Guest kellysguy

Yeah, I'll be running a manual and beating on it alot, but not with real sticky tires, although, they do grab pretty well for street tires. I already have a set of 280ZXT shafts and 280 stubs so this is great. Hopefully I can get it together before WWIII goes into full swing :(. All I need now is a blower, sawed off double barrel 12 ga. and a Dingo :mrgreen:

Thanks again!

Guest kellysguy

One more thing. I've been looking around for a T5 but all I find is ones fron behind a 2.8 in a Camaro. Those aren't the same as the V8 T5's are they? I prefer a 5sp over a 4 but I'm having trouble finding a V8 T5 that's not out of a Mustang........or could I use that one? I can't find any info anywhere.

The T5 from behind a 2.8 V6 will not hold up to a V8 and besides the bolt pattern is wrong anyway.

There is a company that makes a bellhousing that will allow you to bolt a Mustang T5 to an SBC but I can't remember the name, might be McCloud or Lakewood. Do a search on the internet and you should be able to find it.

As for finding a GM World Class T5 for sale, good luck. I got mine off ebay 3 years ago after looking for 3 months. I was fortunate and got it from a guy who didn't know it was a WC unit so he sold it cheap.

How much are you willing to spend on a tranny?

If you can't find a T5 and don't want a T56 then you might consider a Tremec TKO-600 or something similar.

BTW:

I've already got my Dingo and he loves to go for rides. :)

Actually he's a blue healer, which is what the dog was in Road Warrior anyway. That movie was just on the History channel this last weekend.

I love the first 2 Mad Max movies but they went Hollywood with the third.

Wheelman

My car only started to break stub axles when it got into the 11's at 120mph using slicks and 4000 rpm clutch drops.

stay with street tires and you will not have a problem.

You need a T5 from a V8 car. And do not shift it fast or hard. Slow easy shifts will make it live. And don't give it full power in 5th gear.

Guest kellysguy

Thanks guys. Sounds like maybe I need to get a Muncie or Saginaw 4 speed as I want to BEAT on it. Maybe adapt a Mopar 833 4 speed to it. I like those, but man are they heavy. I'd really like to put a 440 in it, but I've got SBCs comming out of my butt. Maybe I should just get a Dart and call it a day. Are the T56's as weak as the T5's? Is there any 5 or 6 speed that'll handle 400 ft lbs and 400 hp(just to be on the safe side)? I had a freakin' Saginaw but I just sold it.

A T56 will handle 400ft/lbs and 400HP all day long. The T56 is much stronger than a T5 although it's also alot heavier.

Look at the Tremec TKO-600 units if you want a real tough 5-speed. They're a bit spendy but even stronger than the T56 and you won't have to cobble together adapter plates like you would with a Mopar 833.

Wheelman