HybridZ

Guess my exh. problem Contest

srgunz

Here is the deal. I have the MSA 2-1/2 inch exhaust kit for the stock 240Z manifold. It came with a no name turbo muffler. Its around 12 to 14 years old.

I drive in the summer only on weekends.

I just had the cast iron manifold off, sand blasted, and POR-15 manifold heat paint applied. Put back on car with new headpipe gasket. A few days later it began to backfire and could smell exhaust. Well I found the new headpipe gasket blew. So I got another and it blew out also after one day. The other thing I had been noticing that it seemed way down on top end power.

This has driven me crazy. I could not believe what it was. Alot of experenced guys here so you might know right away.

Anybody guess?

Prize is a quality 50th anniversy collectors glass from Road America.

I'm going with collapsed muffler internals creating too much backpressure. However, if something else was changed with the induction (timing, fuel settings) while the manifold was off, it might be causing the backfire as well. I assume since you've got a 240z you are using carbs, so have you checked the settings since you put the manifolds back together? I find that when problems come up after a specific job was performed, it's best to look at things that could be related to what you did first, and then go from there. Anybody else have any ideas?

-edit- I just reread your post, and it seems that you found the problem after all. Was there a squirrel in the tailpipe or something?

Ding! Damn you are good. It was a plugged muffler. Never will I use that type of muffler again. I will blame MSA on this one as it was their kit. Unless they are now sending something different with their kit I would not keep it on the car for very long.

• 4 weeks later...
Ding! Damn you are good. It was a plugged muffler. Never will I use that type of muffler again. I will blame MSA on this one as it was their kit. Unless they are now sending something different with their kit I would not keep it on the car for very long.

Maybe the age of the muffler (12 -14 yrs old) had something to do with it's demise!!?