HybridZ

Don't mess with DR. HUNT

COZY Z COLE

Well, another one found it's way into my safe today. My gunsmith called and said a gun came in for me, so this evening I ran out to see what it was. Low and behold it's one of Savage's new 20ga Milano O/U shotguns. I had just spoken with Savage about getting one of these last week for a review and was told it would probably be late October or early November at the earliest, so its arrival was a total surprize. Anyway, here's a couple pic's...

Milano1.jpg

Milano2.jpg

Milano2.jpg

Milano4.jpg

The off-center lever is my only complaint about this shotgun thus far. Hopefully with some use it will wear in a little and not be as far off.

Milano5.jpg

I was actually surprised how light this is for an O/U. At 6 1/4 lbs, it weights the same as a 20ga Remington 870 Express with a 26" barrel. Definitely not a trap or skeet gun, but the lightweight will be nice in the pheasant fields of S. Dakota next month.

The good doctor isn't the only one with a personal arsenol. lol This is my newest toy' date=' a Savage Model 12 Precision Varmint in .22-250 (special order with a 1-9" twist barrel) and a couple targets representing what it's capable of at 100yds. Not bad for a bone-stock factory rifle.

[img']http://www.savageshooters.net/images/misc/SledgeHammer1.jpg[/img]

SledgeHammer2.jpg

52gr_Speer_TNT2.jpg52gr_SMK.jpg

Another favorite is my Savage Striker in .22-250. Not only is it fun to shoot, but with the 3-12x Burris scope and Ballistic-Plex reticle it's deadly on g-hogs and PD's out to 400 yards with 50gr Nosler BT's.

Striker1.jpg

Then of course there's my baby, a Savage 110PEL in .30-06 that's one of 25 ever built (758 made in total in three calibers between 1965 and 1969, of which less than 10% were lefties). Action is nickel plated and fully engraved, as is everything else except the barrel itself. All the engraving work was done in Germany, and the stock is French walnut and was made by Sile of Italy.

110PEL-6.jpg

110PEL-7.jpg

110PEL-4.jpg

110PEL-2.jpg

Might as well throw in my 1000 yard rifle as well, a custom built Savage chambered in .22-250 Ackley with a 1-8" twist barrel. This puppy will shoot 1/2 MOA @ 500 yards when I do my part with the 80gr Nosler bullets leaving the muzzle at a hair over 3400fps.

VT02.jpg

What great guns Savages are. I know I'm going to stir up a debate here. I got my first Savage, a 10FP in .308 a couple of years ago. It is a paper hole puncher, despite it's cheap stock and out of the box configuration. In all, it cost about $500. I got a case of Remington envy (because everyone says the 700's are more accurate), though, and I picked up a 700 VS and had it built up to 40X specs. Wouldn't ya know it, my $500 gun will still outshoot it. That's why, when I found a Savage 110 action in .300 RUM, I snatched it up right away for the princely sum of $250. It's gonna be my 1000 yard gun. Love those cheapo guns.

Cool, last year I was going to buy one, but the guy was weird. The gun was here in NM and he was in Calif and wouldn't talk directly to you over the phone. He wanted in intermediary. Also he wouldn't give out his address, email or anthing to talk or to send money he wanted me to give money to this intermediary guy with no receipt. Too weird for me so I backed out.

I gotta admit there are a lotta strange dudes in the gun world, so much so that don't readily admit my fascination with guns to just anyone.

Yeah, those savage rifles do shoot pretty well. I've nver owned a bolt action persaonally, I have a model 99, and I have owned savage shotguns.

Guns, everyone likes the ones that shoot real well. Guns are kind of like engines, some work better than others even though they are the same size. Kind of the way it goes.

Somehow or another I've officially become Savage's online PR guy (I guess founding the Savage Shooters website caused that). Works out pretty nice though as I find I don't have to buy many guns these days since all I need to do is call Savage and have them send me whatever I want to do a review on. Get the guns for 120 days on consignment with the option to buy at dealer cost if I want to keep it. The downside is that after 120 days I usually grow fond of the gun and end up sending out a check. lol

I'm up to 13 Savage's now, not including the new O/U or the new rimfire that just came in today for review.

Here's a couple shots from my collection. Have a few more, just haven't gotten around to photographing them yet.

NonSavageGroup1.jpg

- Custom AR-15 w/26" Shilen barrel chambered in .17 Remington (my coyote rifle)

- Remington 700ML .50cal muzzleloader

- Remington 870TB Wingmaster 12ga

- Browning BPS 12ga

- Marlin 336 in .30-30

- Savage Model 101 single-shot .22lr pistol (DOM 1961)

SavageGroup1.jpg

- Custom Savage Model 11 in .22-250AI with a 26" Douglas barrel & SSS stock.

- Savage Mark II-GLV in .17 HM2

- Savage 93R17-GLV in .17HMR

- Savage Model 24V in .222 Rem/20ga (DOM 1968)

- Savage Model 10ML-II .50cal muzzleloader (added the laminated stock from a Model 12BSS)

SavageGroup2.jpg

- Savage Model 12 Varmint Low Profile in .204 Ruger (only LH single-shot made to date)

- Savage Model 12 Long Range Precision Varmint in .22-250 (special order with a 1-9" twist barrel)

- Savage Model 110PEL in .30-06 (DOM 1966)

- Savage Model 24C "Campers Companion" in .22lr/20ga

- Savage Model 111GL in .25-06 Rem.

- Savage Model 220 single-shot .410ga (DOM 1948)

- Savage Model 516FSAK Striker in .22-250 (started life as a .243 Win.)

One of these days I might get around to buying a semi-auto shotgun for waterfowl and upland hunting, but the two pumps will suffice for the time being.