HybridZ

17x7 with 4.5 backspacing and a 0 offset

A 7 inch wide wheel with 0 offset would leave you with 3.5 inches of backspacing (0 offset puts your mounting flange right at the center of the wheel 7/2=3.5). According to my calculations, you SHOULD be able to use as much as +27mm offset on a 7" wide wheel to keep a 4.5" backspace. That ASSUMES that 4.5" of backspace is the ideal amount...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why that wouldn't work, that should give you roughly 4 3/8" back spacing...I think what we need to do is figure out exactly what backspacing will work before you drop the cash on some wheels. I'll measure my adapters when I get home, and work it out. I've got 17X8 wheels in the back, and they don't rub at all the way they are set up now. I think they could stand to be a little closer in, to be honest..

these wheels have 5.5" of backspacing, minus about 1.25-1.5" for the spacer, depending on how big it is (I don't remember). That puts it at under 4.5" either way, just exactly how much is the question...

I don't know if 9" wide would work or not, my front wheels are 7". I know some people have used some seriously wide wheels on this site, but I can only tell you from experience what I've seen will work or not...You have to keep in mind how far you can turn the wheels and will they rub either on the inner fender, or on the outer edge. I have to guess there is a point either way...

I'm sure auxiliary's guy is on the level. That particular wheel has 4" of backspace, so it's really starting to look like that's really close to the right number. You should be able to play with your offset vs wheel width vs backspacing a little better now. I'd try to keep it around 4". All you have to do is convert your offset to inches, take half of your wheel width (0 offset), and either add or subtract your offset in inches from that, and it will tell you the backspacing. So long as it's around 4" maximum, it seems that should work (at least in the rear where you don't have to worry about turning).

so what brakes are you going to fill those wheels with? It won't look right with the tiny stock brakes and then a big gap and then rim. There are plenty of rim choices out there... just look around enough and you will find something you will like and look good with your brakes.

*Edit*

My aluminium rims that were included with my car only had 3.25" backspace and were 6.5" wide. I now have 15x8" rims and 4" backsace. They definitely don't fit under stock fenders.

You might also consider that a lot of the guys who are running wider rims are also running flares... something to think about. the zx does have a more pronounced fender lip then the z does so it might work out ok. if you know anyone local who is running aftermarket rims you might ask if you can see how they fit.. even if its off a z and not a zx. most z guys are more the happy to help. expecially with the dreaded aftermarket Z rim drama!

ahh so those rims might not fit? im not worrying too much about the brake look. im a student with a little budget lol. my tires are cracked on my z right now so i need some replacements and i dont want to put a whole bunch of money into new tires for my old stock rims. so id rather get a new set of everything lol. i saw pictures of those rims and tires on a 240 and they stuck out a bit. how do i figgure out if they fit or not?... lol im not getting a straight answerr ahh would a smaller wheel help?

ahh so those rims might not fit?

I assume this is in reference to the flares? Those guys are running wheels that are super wide, 9 inches and wider usually (the ones that actually NEED the flares anyway).

The wheels in the group buy fit as well as any aftermarket wheel is going to fit. If the price is right, that is a great looking wheel for I think a great price. Read that whole thread, look at the pictures, and if you like that look, I say just get those and call it a day.

For the record, I just measured my spacers, they are 1.5", which on the back means that I have a corrected backspacing of 4" (from the original 5.5" with no spacer that didn't fit). There is at least .5" to spare, even with my 255/40-17 tires that stick out at least 3/4" past the rim of the wheel, so I would say that to consider 4.5" inches the maximum backspacing is a safe bet.

A 7" wheel with 0 offset will have a 4" backspacing - there is ~.5" added to the advertised width for the bead of the tire.

Z Service Unlimited in Marietta and later Smyrna GA had a 600+ dyno'd 280ZXT and rand 8" custom rims (HRE) all around with 245/50/16 tires. They had to cut and roll in the fenderwells.

You're absolutely right, I totally forgot to factor in that extra inch for the beads...When I measured mine though, I measured from the outisde of the rim to the strut housing, and I still had plenty of space in there. By the way Brad, did you get that thing I sent ya?

This is what the adapter from modern motorsports looks like....

bedliner1.jpg

This is what my car looks like with 17x7 Konig Monsoon's on it. They have BFG KD 225/45/17 tires. The wheels are made for a honda, +40mm offset...

HZsig.jpg

Guy

That's about how they look alright...Mine are pretty much the same thing, I just bought them locally. Also they are 4X114.3 to 4X114.3, instead of the Honda 4X100. My wheels are double drilled for 4 AND 5X114.3, so they could theoretically survive a 5 lug conversion. That's half the reason I got them in the first place.

Here's me:

DSCI0018.jpg