HybridZ

I went and saw the Z-8 for sale...went for a ride...WOW!

Ok, first of all i'll say Im new to Z cars but have always admired the bodies and wanted to try a hybrid. Im also not new to quick street cars and have ridden in quite a few. That aside here's my introduction to the V8 Zcar.

We get in the car and he fires up the high compression 400sbc and I can feel the torque of the engine starting rolling the chassis on its suspension..but after that it was just a slight tingle of vibration. It sounded nice..not to loud but beefy inside the cockpit. So he pops the auto into drive with a jerk from the drivetrain. After feeling that jerk from just engaging it into gear im thinking this thing is gonna be awnry to drive. So we start puttin it around. The car is AMAZINGLY docile and easy to cruise. Very smooth and not jerky and touchy like i expected. Then he stabs it a slight bit a couple times and I can feel thats its gonna move real well! So after cruising the district a bit we finally come to a long straight road, and im ready to see what all the hype is about. I lean back into the seat with my head against the headrest and just go into a high sensory observation mode..you know..when you are really into a car and want to 'feel' it out. So we're rolling about 10mph and he floors it...HOLY$H!T!!!...BAM already into second in within one seconds time and its just a slight pause to the viscous acceleration and its back to feeling like im being held against that seat by two PO'ed Arnold Swartzenegger's..and it just doesnt stop!! I mean the acceleration didnt feel like other cars..its just constant,steady and wicked! 2nd gear lasts about 2-2.5 seconds and he slams third (3speed auto) and it plants you 'deep' into the seat with pressure..damn near like 1st does..VISCOUS! He's into 3rd for a couple of seconds and lets off the loud pedal..it was euphoric! Then it just settles back in to a calm cruiser..totally streetable and docile. We went from the bottom of 1st up to 3rd and to i'd guess-timate about 100mph in about 7 seconds and in alittle over a short blocks worth of road. I was shocked!..it didnt seem real but at the same time it seemed so 'right'. The car needs suspension work and has had a hard life, but it just seemed to work in harmony with all that torque. The tires were about a 6-7" wide sport tire and they hooked and maintained control well. As soon as he hit it in 1st..Im thinking this thing is gonna sidestep BIGTIME when he bumps second...didnt happen. There was tire spin for sure but I couldnt really hear it over the engine nor could i feel any acceleration going away. It was just a constant massive thrust of that little body..Id almost describe it like 'being into the afterburners'. Just THRUUUUST that doesnt let up until you let go off that pedal! So anyway we toodle around some more and end up coming onto yet another straight away...uphill this time. Same thing...He hits it again and the whole time, 1st to 3rd im just thinking "Yeaaaaaaa Baby Yeaaaaaaaaaa!!". Uphill/downhill..1st gear/3rd gear...this car was bad and it didnt matter. It all felt the same..DAMN GOOD! I was just as amazed at how mellow and nice to cruise it could be. it was similar to a well built turbo car with big boost and power. It was real mellow like they are until you wanted it to get evil..the only difference was that this Z was like the turbo car at full power/full boost all the time..and at ANY rpm and in ANY gear..yet was as docile as the turbo car would be at low revs/low boost as soon as you let off the gas. A good description would be Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde...and its two personalities were that different. Sweet car and obviously a design that was just meant to be. I can only imagine how it would do with fender flares and some better rubber with a suspension that wasnt as hard as a ROCK from cut springs that were lowering springs in the first place. Under full acceleration the car literally only dropped the back end 1.5 inches..NOT a good setup for that kind of power to utilize weight transfer. Still it did amazingly well and stayed poised and under full control the whole time. Even changing lanes at full throttle was precise. I'm hooked...theres no doubt. I've always wanted a v8-Z, even since I was in my early teens. Now that I finally got the opportunity to experience the E-ticket ride (and thats what it is) Ive got to have one for myself.

The guy that is selling the car is real cool and down to earth. He has some issues that are yet to be determined regarding my buying this car, but Id say it looks good. We are working on a deal on just the rolling chassis because I cant afford the whole asking price and the engine runs on race gas and Im not interested in that. Fun?...HELL YES!..but I want to drive this car alot and sleep on people. I want to cruise it on Saturday nights and just drop jaws of those that decide to test "the old clunker". $5/gallon gas is NOT going to work for that. I hope it works out between he and I so we can both get what we want out of the deal, but if it doesnt Ill just find another one. This one was fairly beat and needed ALOT to be nice..but i really dont want nice anyway. I want FAST...and I want Honda and 5.0 drivers heads on a stick! smile.gif We will see. I'll keep you all posted and thanks for everyones help!

Jason..the newest V8-Z NUT!

------------------

Future owner of 70-73 240Z-28

1973 Chevy Camaro street/strip project w/490BBC

2000 Ford F150 lifted on 35" BFG's w/5.4L V8

Have a look.. http://JasonsHobbyShowcase.homestead.com/homepage.html

[This message has been edited by Racin_Jason (edited March 02, 2001).]

Dude, glad you had a fun ride! But be careful. Don't let the eup[horia get you so carried away that you don't see the problems the car might have. Did you check for rust? Under the battery tray? Frame rails? Fenders?

My first and only V8Z ride was much like yours - except I drove smile.gif It hauled a$$ but overall it just needed too much work for the asking price. That was maybe 2 years ago (Mike?) and I'm glad I didn't do it. Since then I've passed on yet another "nice" V8Z that had a 5speed and a non-JTR mount (like the first). I've learned a TON in the meantime and when my car is done, with lot's of help and advice here, it will blow away any of the previous candidates. If this one passes there will be others and if you've got to put a motor in this one you can do it in another nicer one just as easily...

Yea Jason; Be slow to buy. Glad you took the ride...you've one better than me as I've still to ride in a V8Z (I'm jealous).

Now, after saying that: Keep in mind I've had a couple projects in the past whereby my Euphoric feeling got me in trouble & I'm sure most everyone here has also gotten in to trouble buying a rust-bucket & not knowing it till its too late. If you buy on "Feelings"...your feelings will always get you in trouble.

I mentioned it on another thread about my newly Self-Acclaimed system of buying cars that has, since contribed, kept me out of trouble. For posterity's sake I'll describe it again.

When you go to buy a car; List the different systems of a car just like an auto-manual would:

1) Body

2) Engine

3) Transmission

4) Fuel/Cooling

5) Electrical

6) Drive Axle/Differential

7) A/C

8) Tires

Once you've had a chance to look the vehicle over; rate each system on a scale from 1-10. After rating them....add your total up & divide the total by the amount of categories you've listed. Say you have a total of 56. That could mean the car is 58% complete; or if you divide the number of categories "8" into your total "56" you'ld get a "7". Meaning on a scale from 1-10 your car rated a "7". That should help you in determining what the car needs & in pricing the car.....or deter you from a Money Pit(?)!

Glad you got the joy of riding in a V8Z; sounds like you had fun....I'm still waiting for my fateful day in a V8Z!

Kevin

(Still an Inliner)

Thanks for looking out for me. I hear ya. Actually I was so caught up in the performance thats all i wanted to talk about when I got home..laf

I did give the car a good looking over and here's my inspection sheet. The body was very straight with only a few door dings and is primered and somewhat ready for paint. To thr RUST then..He pointed out a slight bit under the doors (very little) and said that was all that was on the car. The underhood was factory paint (i think) and I pulled the battery and the tray and it was only rust colored..NO rust really to speak of. Its missing the carpet under the drivers feet and there was no rust there either although I remember him mentioning it did have some on the floor (i didnt see any) The rest of the car IS in primer so that could hide alot but the body panels were smooth. The only place I saw that 'filler texture' was under the hatch at the bottom right corner..but it was primed over too. The orimer doesnt look new at all so I would assume any BAD rust might have showed itself by now. Other body stuff..hmm...it has a plastic front spoiler, all the chrome is there except for one tailight surround, glass is all good, no dents..oh and it has a sunroof that he says has never leaked (i hope)

Interior then~

Pretty trashed I guess. Carpets gone, dash is cracked up, missing guages in the center (he's keeping them), seats are decent, headliner is good, the center console was CUT off of the dash for a aftermarket shifter to fit (looks like kaka), has a nice steering wheel, nice Autometer tach w/shiftlite, the door panels are tore up badly, it has 5point harnesses and the doors weatherstripping is trashed. Personally im not too worried about the interior looks. Ive fixed up worse before..

Suspension has Tokico struts (non-adjustable) and CUT Eibach springs..the thing is pretty low and rides stiff. I would swap out those springs. He has the Toyota brakes in a box that he will throw in. The rearend has to be replaced due to the spider gears being welded together. It actually hooked up amazingly well for having such a taught suspension, being lowered and all.

The motor mounts and tranny mounts are homemade but are in the JTR position..if not closer. The distributer (HEI) was damn near touching the firewall. I havent check the brakes yet. The radiator is out of a Maxima and has a 16" electric fan on it.

The car comes with NO motor, tranny, rims, or muffler (but the piping and headers stay). He is also taking the aftermarket guages for oil and water temp i believe but the big tach stays.

So what do you think? Im not looking for a clean Z. Im looking for a solid foundation to build speed on..looks can come later. I would post the price but Im not sure if i have any competition floating around on this car seeing as how it was posted on these forums and many guys are local. I would appreciate hearing what people think I SHOULD be willing to pay for it.

Any and all comments are welcome and requested. I'll keep ya posted!

Jason

quote:

Originally posted by Racin_Jason:

...oh and it has a sunroof that he says has never leaked....Personally im not too worried about the interior looks. Ive fixed up worse before..

Any and all comments are welcome and requested. I'll keep ya posted! Jason

Jason,

Remember, when buying a car, regardless of its current condition: the objective is not "To Be Worried as I Can Fix it Later" but to be "AWARE OF" any short comings so that you can factor said short comings into the purchace price of the car.

I'ld personally be leary of that sunroof. It may not be leaking now; but after you've been hard on it for a while; the body stretches/warps & your new $3000 paint/body job begins rusting....again!

Remember the buying formula; Be honest w/yourself when rating each section of the car's systems. If you want that car & want it w/out the current drivetrain; Be honest-Dont go over anything more than maybe-Double Salvage Yard Pricing.....there's a reason Salvage Yards make money: They never overpay for a car!

Even if the car is solid & repairable; You, I mean "YOU" are going to be doing the labor & "YOUR WALLET" will be paying for the proper rebuild!

Dont think this is the only V8Z out there; write down a list of all the things you'ld change on the car currently the way it sits. Then put a reallistic $$ dollar price on each change...add up the dollars & I think you're gonna be surprised how much it comes too. You may consider just buying a Z in original form (Sorry Purist-Yea/another one bites the dust); then make the changes as you go-at least that way you dont have to worry about problematic surprises popping up or previous primer having covered up possible cancer/rust spots. If you start w/a clean slate you may be happier because "YOU" have been the only one making changes to the car thus far.

If he's willing to part the car out/maybe you can use it as a parts car/test mule(?)! But dont overpay; Never, Never, Never, Never OVERPAY!!!!

Believe me, if you buy a money pit; Which I have done In the Past/you will regret it; Big Time Regret!

Not trying to trash the car; just trying to head you off before any possible mistakes are made; I think all of here would agree-We want you as a happy member & not a Frustrated/Flat Broke Member.

FYI-Just my .02c's worth!

Kevin

(Still an Inliner)

Okay, let's ballpark a few things and okay I'll make a comment or two first..

Sunroof - ouch. That hurts IMO. It's aftermarket and while it doesn't leak it might later and do you really want it?

Rust sounds okay but you won't know for sure till you pull the door panels and get in there - it's probably rusting from the INSIDE out. Trust me here.

Interior - I'll try to price some of this below for you but it'll be off the top of my head figures. Get a VB and MSA catalog to be sure. It won't be cheap IMO but E-Bay and folks here can help.

Primerpaint. It might not be rusting now but primer absorbs moisture and to paint it they'll probably want fresh primer anyway so it'll be stripped off. Primer also hides waves, some dents, other potential bodywork so be careful.

Some prices:

Door panels - $50 apiece?

Console - mine was NOS and at least $150 I think. Ouch! Consider a used one.

Weatherstripping - $200 or so?

Rear - $75 for an open rear maybe?

Carpet - $150 maybe?

Dash cap - cheap smile.gif

Springsshocks - $300? maybe less

How did the seats look? Interior plastic all there? Cage?

Don't forget it will need a motor and trans!

Look at it this way - what about the car makes it special over buying a stock Z and converting it yourself? The motor and trans will be gone and you'll have a non-running car that needs work to gather parts for. It's a fun car with the V8 but it won't have it when you buy it and it'll take some cash to come up with a motor. I can't give you a dream guess on a good price (I'm terrible at that!) but I can tell you I spent $6K on my 240Z with a fine running motor, new interior, new paint, almost ZERO rust, triple Webers, and Panasports. I was quoted $5K for a paint job on my previous purchase - hence my willingness to spend so much on this car!

With what you've quoted - including paintwork, motor, trans - I'd say you're looking at an easy $10K to make it REALLY nice if not more. Am I way off guys?

Id say your close, heck maybe even low. Just depends on what you want, will you do most the work or pay out for it to be done. Can get steep. Unfortunatly I speak from experience...ouch!!!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Sounds like after he takes all he wants from the car there will be nothing of much use left. Mabey he should pay you for hauling it away. Good luck!

OK first I want to say thanks for all the help and being honest with me. I appreciate it and it can make all the difference in the long run to have someone with prior knowledge help guide the newbie.

Now Im not a newbie to cars or working on them. I've been building a 73 Camaro for 3 years and I'm capable of doing the work myself or finding a friend that can if I cant. I ALREADY have a 355 and a TH350 ready to drop in this car..the engines rebuilt and the tranny has a shift kit and is solid. (looks like kaka but runs well..see my website under camaro-'2ndgen striptease'). http://www.jasonshobbycase.homestead.com/homepage.html

I'm really not looking at having a clean Z that can be shown off...thats what my Camaro will be for (eventually). Im also not looking to build the Z into a monster...the Camaro is being built to run 10's on pumpgas/all motor then 9's on NOS (you can see the 490BBC on my site aswell).

Here's what I would buy this car for. A fun, streetable sleeper that i wouldnt have to worry about to much. The goal would be to get it in the 12's and be as sleeperish and cruiseable as possible. The th350 I have for it is NOT very highway friendly i understand..but it'll do for now. It will be garaged so the primer wouldn't be an immediate rust sponge. I figure to get the car running, with another junkyard r200 and springs..and add in 100-200 for "the stuff that comes up"..my out of pocket beyond the price of the car would be 5-600 maybe. Thats with ugly interior,primer intact and only a few visual additions. Im not even sure if this car is going to be available to buy because he hasnt called me and I should have heard from him by now.

Ya know what?...screw it! I'm gonna SHOW you guys the car. I figure if someone see's it here and buys it out from under me then it just wasn't meant to be. Have a look for yourself...

http://www.jasonshobbyshowcase.homestead.com/240z.html

I think Ive described it pretty accurately. It DOES need ALOT to be nice..and more than meets the eye,too. I don't want nice really (maybe eventually..a bit at a time), I want to street race it, get my jollies driving it to work and just have a sleeper that I can entertain myself with.

I will however pull the door panels and check for rust FIRST. Also, I will check anything you all warn me about. I want to know what Im getting myself into..but working on it is no biggie and neither is the look of it. Anything I can't do I'll just ask for help on here. I'm humble smile.gif

As always, opinions appreciated.

Thanks again..great site!

Jason

Jason,

Saw your Camaro the first time you posted; those are my favorite year/style Camaro's. Yours looks like its coming along fine.

About the 12 sec.Z; you can do that easily-dont even need a Heavy Hitter to do the 12's in a V8Z.

When you make the swap...if you want it to be a daily driver you should opt fot the 700r4 trans...even your Camaro could benefit from a race prep'd 700/with the lower first gear!

About the Z you've been looking at...it looks straight; still tho-after you've gotten hard on the Z a dozen or so times-the Z's "Structural Integrity" will have been compromised & that Sunroof will most likely begin leaking......Puddles of water in the floor; or worse...water on your nice Racing Buckets or.....water leaking onto your dash & shorting out your electrical components/NO FUN!

Sounds like you are quite resourceful & know what you are doing mechanically. However, the Z doesnt fall in to the normal Category of Cars when it comes to "RUST" The Z has a propensity for HIDING its rust better than your average car.

As far as what to look for in a Z; you may want to purchase:

"How To Restore Your Datsun Z-Car"

by Wick Humble

The book was published by Fisher Books & 1990 Copywrite. Any book store should be able to order it for you....very insightful book.

"I Still dont like the Sunroof on that car you are looking at: "Structural Integrity is already comprimised!"

Good luck & have fun!

Kevin

(Still an Inliner)

It doesn't look tooo bad - especially for what you want it for. I agree on th O/D trans but for street playing around and drives to work that don't require too much highway a TH350 like you've got would work. Hell, I drove my old Vega with a 4.56 9inch to work once and it's tires were about as tall as the Zs. No tach in the car thank goodness but I'm sure it was screaming. I ran into someone later on who claimed I blew past them at 80mph! Speedo didn't work either smile.gif Engine lived through it but then I didn't much care either!

It does sound like he's getting everything he wants from the car but overall the car is okay so long as there's no rust to speak of. The exhaust is a bit inadequate I'd say unless that's 3inch pipe so spend some cash there eventaully. How cheap would you be getting it for?

Much thanks to everyone (ESPECIALLY Kevin and BLKMGK) for taking the time to respond with all the information.

Kevin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for the comment on my Camaro. Its been along road fer sure..with no end in sight smile.gif

Just how easy is it (HP needed?) to get a 240z deep into the 12's? Thats what i would like from the car.

700r WOULD be sweet for the car and if i can find a great deal on one (or a 200r) i'll do that. As for a 700r4 in the Camaro..it would take one HELL of a build to handle that engine..let alone on NOS. It's gonna need a 4L80 (th400 for now)

The sunroof point you make is a serious concern now. Im still not 100% convinced i should be TOO worried tho. The owner has has been "driving the sh!t out of the thing for 18 months..) with the 406 in it..and it had a built L6/turbo before that. I figure if i cant get it to leak by a direct blast from a pressure nozzle on a garden hose..it wont leak for awhile. I need to find out the things that can "hide" on these cars so i know exactly where to look before laying down the green. I doubt I would get the book you recommend before the decision came down on this car. Thanks again for all your help..it means alot.

BLKMGK

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I KNOW the Vega was screamin at 80mph with those tires and those gears! SBC are some tough little motors with alittle thought in the design.

The exhaust IS VERY inadequate..especially for a 12.5:1 406 like his. Its 2.5" and KINK bent! I cant believe he gets the power out of it that he does...and get this..he shifts at 8000 RPM!! Unreal. I bet he would gain 30-50HP from pulling that 2.5" cork out of his engine. BUT, i must admit, it did infact run real well all the way to 8-grand.

On the price, I think its a good deal. Im not going to post it tho for obvious reasons (Ive got emails about this car..) I would appreciate some Z owners opinions of what would be a good deal on this car. They are alittle more here in CA than most other places,too. Do you share Kevins opinion about the sunroof?

Hopefully I can get some more opinions on this car aswell. The more I learn (and QUICK) the better off I'll be. I figure I have until next weekend until I make the decision. That is IF he decides to sell it (long story)..but i think he will.

Opinions? What to look for? Shutup and buy it already? smile.gif

Thanks again

Jason

Sunroof: Not preferable, but I'm not too sure it's the kiss of death either. The frame structure around the roof edge and the rest of the roof probably provide most of the stiffness of the roof panel in shear and bending about the important directions, so I'm not sure a sunroof hole really matters that much.

Rust: It hides because these cars didn't have much for galvanized/e-coating from the factory, and came across the ocean wit hthe rust already starting from the inside out. Mostly in hidden areas like the rocker boxes and frame rails. The only sure way to tell is to look in there to find out. In the frame rails, you might have to drill an hole in several places with a small hole saw and look at the rust on the inside part of what's taken out, as well as clean off the rust from that and measure the thickness. Also, tapping around with a ball peen hammer on the rails can show a really weak frame rail, but the owner might not like that.

Good luck,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

My last Z had a sunroof in it. Interesting thing about it, I had it put in, it was an X large unit, and it was one of the few things to survive the 3 car sandwhich my car was the middle car in. I don't think Sunroofs are as bad as some would say, however I did have a full 6 point rollbar and sub frames in the car, so that made a difference!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Jason,

Mike made a good point; if you want the sun roof definately intend on installing a cage of some sort...Japanese metal-(the Early Days) was pretty soft to begin with. I've owned two cars w/aftermarket sun roofs; one leaked while the other didnt(?); & lets face it/they are nice when you dont have A/C or its not really hot enough to use A/C; pop the roof open & instant breese.

Now, about the HP needed to get a Z into the 12's. I"m glad you asked 'My Son' because the Doctor is in; put a nickel in the cup & close the door on you way in.

If you use a 240z (Believe they're @ 2600lbs) you're looking somewhere @ 2900lbs w/you in it & a full tank of gas. With that weight running your trans 1.00:1 (3rd gear in TH350) all you would need is:

A SBC making 400 Flywheel HP; multiply that 400 FLywheel HP by .15% loss from flywheel to the drive wheels & your wheels are seeing @ 340 RWHP. 400Hp for a SBC is not that hard as we all know!

"That engine alone will get you a theoretical ET = 11.9; doesnt take into account wheelspin nor slow reaction time, but, you get the idea.

Kevin

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

I guess what it comes down to, again, is what makes this car special? If you liek the look and the price is right - go for it. If the sunroof leaks later deal with it then or have a roof put on. It's not like the car has a show quality paint job to ruin smile.gif This is suppopsed to be a fun car for you to jump Hondas in so even if it's got some rust are you going to care if it's not structural? I think maybe we're overanalyzing this from the standpoint that we all want perfect cars. For some of us good enuff is just that!

Heh, I'll never forget the one Z I saw street racing down on V. It had a fuel cell strapped in the hatch (plastic tank) and a SHOELACE run from the throttle on the carb to the little turnbuckle on the firewall! He had to hop out staging it one time to retie it (lol). It ran damned hard though - didn't even have a hood on it that night....

Yea, Jim is right.

There are no "Perfect" Z's that I'm aware of. I feel the emphasis on "Rust" we have mentioned is not paranoia but well placed caution.

Just have fun & no matter what car you buy; Check it out, check it out good/ask a lot of questions....think about it....adjust your price/haggling accordingly & if its the car you want....GO FOR IT!

No matter what car you buy; you are going to run into problems w/the swap. I think that is what this site is for.....for when one of us runs into a problem we can simply pose the question to our HybridZ bro's...Sempa-Fi!

Hey Jim, I bet that shoelace was a HiPo unit from Summit or PAW?

Remember, If you're not having fun then you're doing it wrong!

Kevin,

(Yes,Still an Inliner)

[This message has been edited by Kevin Shasteen (edited March 05, 2001).]

Kevin, I think it's "Semper-Fi" if I'm not mistaken; I was never a Marine.

Jason, I missed the PRICE somewhere in all of these posts--lots of loooong posts, but very good information I might add!

The car looks quite good from the pics--just get under the carpeting and/or under the floor to see of there are any rust holes. That will probably give you an idea of the rest of the car. It looks pretty good from here. As for the roof--I hate them, but it is not the kiss of death. I have thin hair on my head and don't like sun on it! As for the sunroof rusting, I really don't think that will be a problem where you live at all. Just keep on top of it...Have a good time buying it--it'll be a total blast when you're done and it will be YOURS! smile.gif

David

Guest digitalz

sunroof.....it's gonna leak, not if, it's when.

i live in hawaii and all the z round here have turned to dust. check the floor pan and frame rails. rust could be hiding in between the undercoating and insulation. take all of the advice given here. good luck

kent http://www.flex.com/~sensei