HybridZ

Stupid Mercedes Benz Bashing America pic

cyrus

Guest l28et

DaimlerChrysler%20billboard.jpg

This is the billboard that precipitated a major international scandal in Johannesburg. After a firestorm of protest from bloggers, auto enthusiasts, and citizen journalists, NeanderNews reports that DaimlerChrysler South Africa is pulling the blatantly anti-American billboard and retreating with its tail between its legs. Here's the formal apology sent by DaimlerChrysler:

"The intention of the communication headline of the billboard was never to reflect negatively on the American society, but rather to refer to the vehicles features and product characteristics. Whereas most American vehicles are famous for being large in size, the reference to “American Nothing†relates to vehicle manufacturing and most cetainly not to the American society. This message is clear, considering that “German engineering†and “Swiss innovation†also refers to vehicle manufacturing with no reference intended to the societies of either these countries.

Although we appreciate the fact that all advertisements are open for interpretation by various individuals depending on their own personal opinions, we wish to state that none of the advertisements by DaimlerChrysler in promoting it’s brands are aimed to be discriminating or offending against any individual, belief, religion, colour, nationality, country or otherwise.

Having regard to the above, and without it being construed as an admission of guilt on the part of DaimlerChrysler South Africa in placing the billboard, it has been resolved to remove the billboard to avoid any further misconception and wrong perception as to the true intent of DaimlerChrysler South Africa in the promotion of the smart brand. We wish to apologise for any offence taken as a result of the misperception created by the billboard."

I think its pretty damn funny. Probably not the best marketing campaign for the US bound Smarts tho :P

Guest l28et
I didn't realize there were a bunch of people on this forum getting ready to buy a Mercedes. Good thing you caught that ad.

Right? LOL

It really depends on the location in which its seen I suppose. My marketing teacher once told us of a time that some beer company(I think it was -anhouser-busch(sp?)) decided to try and become a big beer name in brazil. Well, they just decided to have a guy holding up a beer mug in his right hand. Well, they lost all the money they invested because nobody wanted the "gay beer" Turns out that holding a beer upright in your right hand in brazil means the same thing as "I'm a homosexual and ready for action" true story, look it up.

Bad marketing I suppose.