HybridZ

Turbo with N/a cam

I've been having a few problems on my N/a Turbo setup and I think i have a possible solution. I had a thread a few weeks back about a possible "mild" cam. I paid it no mind, and went along with the N/a-T project. Now I notice theres a nice little loppey idle and the car shakes nicely at idle. When I revv it the car revvs nicely just the same, but if I put it in gear, it all goes to crap. It really doesn't wanna go anywhere at all once in gear-I have to feather the clutch just to get it to move, and once driving it is a horrible experiance-it sounds like crap, and won't even hit the speed limit within 10-20 seconds.

My possible solution is, could this cam cause some overlap which underload will cause the metered air to be blown out the exhaust and causing it to run wrong?

Mystery cam, it may be stock or aftermarket, not quite sure-its got red painting to it, and I haven't seen that on any of my other Z cams.

Well, took off the j-pipe and ran it as an N/a a few minuts ago and still runs the exact same. Just in case someone throws out that the motor is bad. I did a compression test the other day, and came up with 150psi across the board. With a low of 148psi and a high of 153psi-so the motor isn't shot.

Could this be as dumb as a sensor?

I do actually have an extra AFM, but its a turbo piece-so I need to get an adapter of some sort to get it to fit. There is no leak, just because I have replaced the hose with a new piece, and nothing.

Would cam timing cause it to run perfect without load, but cause the motor to goto crap once put under load?

Actually, now that I think of it, it runs the exact same without the AFM conneted, so it may be a bad AFM, or connection.

If it runs the same with the MAF and without, I would start there. Or pull the valve cover and check your cam sprocket bolt, it's not unheard of for them to come loose. If you are using an NA MAF with a turbo, it's possible that it gave up on you sometime during that install. You're positive there isn't an air leak either on the manifold somewhere, or in that hose to the throttle body? Did you check it, or just assume that since it was pretty new it couldn't be bad?

If it runs the same with the MAF and without, I would start there. Or pull the valve cover and check your cam sprocket bolt, it's not unheard of for them to come loose. If you are using an NA MAF with a turbo, it's possible that it gave up on you sometime during that install. You're positive there isn't an air leak either on the manifold somewhere, or in that hose to the throttle body? Did you check it, or just assume that since it was pretty new it couldn't be bad?

I checked the rubber hose for cracks and holes, and tested for vaccum leaks with propane. Today I did verify that my Air Temp sensor in the AFM is bad, and I replaced it with the one from the Turbo AFM, everything else seems like its working right in the AFM-does this even sound possible? That the AFM is ok, but the Air-temp sensor is bad? Could this cause the motor to run crappy?

It's not that hard to block off the egr on a regular manifold if those non-egr castings are hard to come by. I actually cut the egr boss off of mine, and blocked it off with some epoxy. I haven't installed my megasquirt yet, so I can't really say if it's going to hold up or not, but I'll let you know when I find out.

My EGR is blocked off anyway, its not a big deal to me, I just like the thought of not having it, it clutters the engine bay. And I like how the non EGR one just has the intake runners and nothing else.

Well, with tuning, I have managed to screw the car up more, now it lacks power and acceleration, so I'm gonna set everything to stock settings and start from there.

I got back to getting the Z to work again. I notice that if I stab the gas really quick, the AFM coughs and then starts to allow air in-so the car tries to stall, then revvs up. But I noticed if I jam a screwdriver in it so that it stays open atleast a little bit at all times, the throttle responce is amazing. What is causing this, is the tension in the AFM off?