HybridZ

Turbo Waste Gate Spring Question

Mayolives

I have a Tial WG38 waste gate with a 14.5 psi spring and a GReddy Profec B boost controller. The controller has a hi and a lo setting. I have the low setting at 14 psi and the hi set at 20 psi. When dyno tuning, I'm having problems holding boost on the high setting. If I install a 23 psi spring, will my boost controller still be able to open the waste gate on the low 14 psi setting or will the stronger 23 psi spring over ride the controller?

If I remember correctly, one side of the controller valve is connected to the top port of the waste gate and the other side is connected to the charge pipe between the inter-cooler and the turbo. On the dyno, the engine makes boost, then stumbles at or near 4500 rpm, and then again makes boost up to the desired rpm shift point. I'm running an Electromotive ignition system and we have tried to turn the stumble out, with little success. This whole process makes a lot of hp and torque, but the stumble would make it very tricky if not impossible to handle on a road course. This car is a dedicated race car and will not be street driven.

My tuner is an Electromotive factory rep. who knows what he is doing. So I will rule out this as a tuning problem. After the stumble at 4500 rpm, the engine pulls hard and makes steady boost to the shift point. The engine is new, so we are doing most of the runs at 6000 rpm max. We have made a couple of 7000 rpm pulls and the reaction is the same.

I don't have any stories yet....there may be some after the event!

This is gonna be a shakedown cruise for me. First time in a different car, first time with a turbo, street tires (some kind of falkens????), unknown chassis setup/characteristics, all point to a conservative weekend for me.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Red Bird.

John