HybridZ

1999 Honda Civic Coupe's Engine got Really Loud

Royal Flush

After my sister came back from San Antonio to Houston one day, the engine was sounding alot louder (or something under the hood) Its got 83,000 miles and my father thinks that its a problem with the oil (He says we have to use thicker oil) But I was thinking maybe something in the engine got loose and is causing the louder noise. What do y'all think? Gonna go to Autozone tomorrow for the oil to see if that works he also said, not to use synthetic if you use the normal for a long time. Is this true too?

What do y'all say might be the problem/fix for the louder engine after the 6 hour trip? Yes it just passed inspection too so thats aite.

lol. Don't start with the harmonic balancer or the water pump. Start with the easy stuff. Like savageskaterkid said, its most likely an exhuast leak. Vibrations can come from anything, but main causes of vibration are unplugged harnesses that cause the car to run on 3 cylinders, such as spark plug wires or injector harnesses.

Make sure all the harnesses are plugged in REALY tight.

One more thing that would make the engine vibrate AND add vibration would be a head gasket failure. Make sure there isn't oil in the water or water in the oil (look for green stuff on the dipstick). Maybe do a compressoin test and find the naughty cylinder thats causing the vibration.

There is no harm in going from normal to synthetic, synthetic to normal, or mixing normal and synthetic together. I have personally done all these things, and it even says right on the synthetic bottle:"compatable with ALL conventional motor oils." The only thing you can't do with synthetic oil for some reason is seat a new gasket. It will just seep right around it. That being said, synthetic oil is probably not going to solve your problem. A lack of oil will cause the engine to get loud, but probably not shake. I'd check your motor mounts since this is the easiest thing to check (besides oil level-have you checked that, by the way?) and won't cost you anything: Open the hood, put on the e-brake, have someone you TRUST give the car a SMALL amount of throttle with the regular brakes applied (car must be in gear-and you must be off to the side so if the car jumps it won't take out your legs) and see how much the motor moves in the engine bay. If it looks like it moves significantly, or you hear any clunking noises, it's time for motor mounts. Also, a 1999 is OBDII, so almost any electrically related problem will throw a check engine light. If that's the case, you should be able to have the codes scanned, and see what the car thinks is wrong.

Yeah they're check engine lights that are fixed and gotta be replaced, but you gotta disconnect the neg batery to do it. Reason its a problem is we did it with our 2000 civic sedan, and Honda's stupid anti theft thing came active, so you cant use the radio, so now we gotta find a dealer and let them reset it since we dont have the code.

That shouldn't be the case. You need a code scanner that is OBDII compatable, and then after you've read the codes, all you have to do is hit the erase button to clear them. Disconnecting the battery doesn't always reset OBDII codes, it depends on how the computer is set up. In order to get a radio reset code for a Honda, you have to pull the radio out and get the serial number off the back, then call the parts department and have them get one from Honda. I worked in parts at Acura for awhile, and this happened all the time. Historically on Honda's, if you pull the hazard light fuse for 30 seconds, it would clear the codes, but I don't think that works on newer ones.

Yeah they're check engine lights that are fixed and gotta be replaced, but you gotta disconnect the neg batery to do it. Reason its a problem is we did it with our 2000 civic sedan, and Honda's stupid anti theft thing came active, so you cant use the radio, so now we gotta find a dealer and let them reset it since we dont have the code.

The code should be under the cup holder or the change holder, one of those removable compartments. Thats how it is on the integras.

I too wouldn't recommend switch/mixing oils. Its changes the viscosity of the oil and how it behaves under pressure/heated situations.

easy things to just check are the connection, plug wires, spark plugs, belt, balancer. If it was just louder I would check for an exhaust leak but since there is a vibration problem with it, I'm pretty sure its something else, but wouldn't hurt to check.

If you haven't already since she has owned it, I would recommend replacing the spark plugs and wires anyways